Updating from Tricia to Ulyana

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rdfuhr
Level 1
Level 1

Updating from Tricia to Ulyana

Post by rdfuhr »

When the stable (not beta) version of Linux Mint Ulyana becomes available, will I be able to update from my present version (Tricia) to Ulyana directly from the Update Manager?

In particular, when launching Update Manager after the official, stable version of Ulyana becomes available, will I be notified that it is now available for download and installation?

If so, I would prefer that approach to downloading an ISO version and doing a clean install.

I have been regularly backing up my system using Timeshift, in case there is trouble.

I am relatively new to Linux Mint, but I have used Ubuntu a bit, and the process of updating to a new major version of Ubuntu seems a bit different, in that there is an option for the user to be notified of any new version of Ubuntu or only LTS versions. So far I have not seen a similar option on Mint, but perhaps I have just missed it,

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Updating from Tricia to Ulyana

Post by all41 »

When the stable (not beta) version of Linux Mint Ulyana becomes available, will I be able to update from my present version (Tricia) to Ulyana directly from the Update Manager?
Yes an inplace upgrade is planned. This will come a little later than the stable release and will be loudly announced in this forum.
fwiw though, a fresh install is suggested
Here's the thing--no need to rush into this--follow other threads regarding this example:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=322822
Consider Mint 20 as an evolving masterpiece that will be available and supported for 5 years
libera ab tyrannis

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

What might be the downside to the upgrade over clean install? I'm all in favor of a clean install and have already done it, but I got several friends that the upgrade is appealing for. A clean install over the phone with inept users is pretty difficult, to say the least.
I got Mint 20 this morning from here: https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/20/
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

The Stable Version of the LM20 series .. is now available
8)
if you are running the Beta Version .. the update, to stable .. is automatic

there should be an announcement .. maybe, later this weekend.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

LanceM wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 pm
What might be the downside to the upgrade over clean install? I'm all in favor of a clean install and have already done it, but I got several friends that the upgrade is appealing for. A clean install over the phone with inept users is pretty difficult, to say the least.
I got Mint 20 this morning from here: https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/20/
the downside is that is can and probably will screw a bunch of other things up and then you will REALLY have fun getting those friends computer's fixed. a clean install is so simple that even inept users should be able to do it.

i know i will never go down that upgrade path again for sure, after having done it a couple times and then spending days trying to fix things!

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

the downside is that is can and probably will screw a bunch of other things up and then you will REALLY have fun getting those friends computer's fixed. a clean install is so simple that even inept users should be able to do it.
I tried it once a long time ago and it failed. I'd hate to walk them thur it and then wind up doing a clean install.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

rdfuhr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rdfuhr »

Here is a follow-up newbie question. If we migrate from Tricia to Ulyana via a fresh install, and if we have been doing frequent backups using TimeShift, then will it suffice to do a restore from TimeShift? A few minutes ago I was going to start a separate backup using Backup Tool, but I got a message saying that I did not have sufficient rights to write to my own external hard drive (which I have been using regularly for TimeShift backups). But I don't want to do my Backup Tool backups to a (new) Backups folder on my hard drive because I assume that would get overwritten if I do a fresh install of Ulyana. What are your thoughts on this?

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

rdfuhr wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:46 am
If we migrate from Tricia to Ulyana via a fresh install, and if we have been doing frequent backups using TimeShift, then will it suffice to do a restore from TimeShift?
No. that is effectively migrating right back to Tricia. And in fact, the system might not boot after that, due to whatever changes were affected in /home.

That's definitely a probable system-killer, and it will certainly take the system back to Tricia versions.

Timeshift is strictly for "system" file space backup.

You'll want to take your time to do a couple things before hand if it's your goal to "migrate".

The Mint tools for this are found in the menu under "Backup tool". This tool is related to "user" file space so you can do a backup of your Documents, Videos and that type of thing(you just select anything you want saved). And another section of it is dedicated to saving a list of programs you have personally installed, and it makes a list that you can import on the new system to reinstall those programs(restore).

If you've installed ppa's, any various 3rd party programs from github or similar then you have to deal with those in a different way.

There was a tool that used to be pretty cool that was actually designed around the idea of "migration" and it would save these ppas for you too, even though sometimes ppa's don't have the newer software available for newer versions(depends on the particular software). But that's now a commercial product. There might still be some earlier versions of aptik available I'm not sure.

Return to “Newbie Questions”