Terminal, Sudo, Wine

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Billy-Ray
Level 1
Level 1

Terminal, Sudo, Wine

Post by Billy-Ray »

Hello everyone,

I'm completely new to Linux, and even though I took some IT lessons in school, my general knowledge of computers is still very... limited. So I apologize beforehand for some possibly stupid questions. Everyone needs to start somewhere, right?

So, yesterday my brother (who knows way more about software etc than me) and I installed Virtualbox and Wine (because I still have Windows 10 on my laptop). So far, so good. Then I realized this wasn't going to be as easy as it is with new programs on Windows, so I decided to follow online instructions step by step (I didn't get to Virtualbox yet, I decided to try only Wine first).

However, the point where it got tricky was when it said to type "winecfg" into Terminal, because nothing happened. I also tried some other commands in Terminal - the only things that work are "reboot" etc. I don't get what the problem could be? The only thing that comes to my mind is that my brother chose German as a language, but if that had any effect, reboot shouldn't work either, should it?

I also came across Sudo commands (I don't recall if it was regarding Wine or something else I tried) and I don't really get what that does.

And last but not least I have a question regarding wine - can I only use it to download new programs or could I open programs with it that are already on the computer?

Thank you beforehand - I hope these questions haven't been asked already, I didn't find anything.

Infidelus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Terminal, Sudo, Wine

Post by Infidelus »

While I'm a long way from an expert, and I'm sure other will jump in with more detailed answers, I can probably offer a little information.

winecfg is part of the Wine package, so you need to call wine first before you call winecfg.

Something as simple as "wine winecfg" will actually bring up the Wine Configuration GUI for the default prefix (which is located at /home/user/.wine). If your Wine prefix is located anywhere else, you need to tell Wine which one you're opening. For example:

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX="/home/infidelus/.myprefixes/videoredo" wine winecfg
Last time I checked it was recommended to have a different prefix for each application you run as there may be different dependencies.

Sudo is the Linux alternative to running commands as the computer Administrator account in Windows, though you can Sudo and run as any user, and it's required to edit system files. I won't try to explain it in detail myself as I'll end up confusing both of us :), but a quick google for 'Sudo Linux' should point you in the right direction. Here's a couple of links to get you going:

https://linuxacademy.com/blog/linux/lin ... ners-sudo/
https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-know-s ... nd-3576779

Wine is a compatibility layer. If you've got the installer files you can try installing any Windows application you like. While there are an awful lot of Windows programs that do work in Wine now, there are still any number that won't. There's a lot of trial and error, but you can also search the WineHQ site to see if your application has been tested - https://www.winehq.org/.

If you're a gamer, you can also look at ProtonDB - https://www.protondb.com/ and Lutris - https://lutris.net/.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Instead of using wine and installing Windows programs, install the Linux/Ubuntu equivalent programs on Mint, https://appdb.winehq.org/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 4cc37c6e10
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

As mentioned, it's best to find a Linux equivalent for a Windows program (though it's not going to be the same either) unless absolutely necessary. WIne is actually VERY unreliable. On that wine app database above (https://appdb.winehq.org/) you need to know that any software rated less than Gold isn't going to work properly.

myface68
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface68 »

I run win7 in VirtualBox. I do photo/video editing and all works fine. PlayOnLinux, Wine do not run all win programs. If you need to run win software (as I do) run inVB. I have old Optiflex 390 ande all works fine.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Billy-Ray wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:26 am
And last but not least I have a question regarding wine - can I only use it to download new programs or could I open programs with it that are already on the computer?
Windows programs do not run on Linux, so they will always need to be opened through Wine (IF they work with Wine). But Linux programs do not need Wine to be downloaded, installed or opened and as stated, that is the better solution.
Wine is strictly for making ~some~ Windows software available on Linux. It's a crutch: it can be helpful, but it rarely makes things run smoothly, and it's better if you do not need to use it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

The brutal reality, is that other than games, most windows programs have a hell of a time running under wine. The office suite is a perfect example, a series of fixes and breakages that extend back a decade or more.

What programs specifically do you need to run in windows?

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

just to add a different perspective, I've had some successes with wine. It runs my ancient "Family Tree Maker" in a simulated XP enviroment well, whereas it has big problems in Windows7. The windows only software for my GPS also runs well. Granted there are some programs that just won't work.
From my experience the advantage of wine is it's ability to run old programs, so you don't need to fork out for the latest version.

And to answer an earlier question, if you already had windows programs before you installed wine, wine will still attempt to open them.

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

I think that you are rather over-egging your Mint install by adding both Wine & Virtualbox to your system.
I would certainly see it as a using one or the other to resolve running Windows programs.

Personally I am not a Wine fan & would advise anyone to use Virtualbox as the route forward.
You DO need to have a computer with a decent CPU & a reasonable amount of RAM to run Windows in Virtualbox successfully though..
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Infidelus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infidelus »

I have to disagree with the above. I've been using both Wine and VirtualBox almost since I first started using Linux about 4 or 5 years ago. I have a number of virtual machines I use for testing and for when I can't get something running in Wine, and I don't see any issue with that at all.

Most of my Wine use is for gaming, but I do have a couple of applications that are Windows only that I use almost daily and run perfectly acceptably with Wine and mean I don't have to spin up a VM every time I want to use them.

Everyone's case is different though and I appreciate my opinion may not be shared by all. At the end of the day, if you can't find a native Linux version of the software (or decent alternative), there's nothing wrong with Wine or VirtualBox.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

The one advantage I see with VB is you can completely sandbox windows, and run it without any virus/spamware protection. Whereas wine is always somewhat of a security issue.

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

I dual boot and run crossover and have win7 in a VM. Why - the desktop is dual boot for gaming (oculus rift). I use crossover for office2013 and a VM for office2016 and other software that won't run under crossover.

Crossover is the commercial version of wine, i.e. not free but there is a 14 trial. It is easier to install and easier to install win software in than wine. It supports a wider range of win software than wine.

Big advantage of a VM is that it is portable, I have the same VMs on all my laptops, no issues with licences. Does require a reasonable spec PC, but from my experience having enough RAM (all my PCs have at least 8GB and I give the win7 VM 4GB) and running from an SDD are the important factors (takes forever to load off an HDD). Performance is adequate on an i5-3210.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

I probably wouldn't use linux if not for wine; under wine, these applications run at least as well as the inferior linux equivalents (e.g. Photoshop under wine starts faster and can handle bigger images than the linux gimp, plus having superior effects and much better GUI. Same goes for audition vs audacity, foobar vs any linux music player, foxit pdf vs any linux pdf reader, etc);

Code: Select all

AVSVideoReMaker  Avidemux	 Foxit_Reader  PaulStretch	      foobar2000
Audition_1.5	 Avidemux32_old  IrfanView     PhotomatrixEssentials  mp3tag
AutoPanoPro	 FlashPlayer	 JPEGsnoop     Photoshop7
And no, you definitely don't need a separate "prefix" for each program.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Newbie Questions”