[SOLVED] Restoring Grub Menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
asway
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Restoring Grub Menu

Post by asway »

Hello,
I have a question about the Grub menu.
I have Linux mint 19.3 (Cinnamon) and Windows 10 dual boot system.
I wanted to set the default boot to the windows, so instead of editing the grub file in in the etc/default I used Grub Customizer.
I could move the boot order set the windows as default but when I reboot, the Grub menu shows the word Ubuntu instead of LM 19.3.
Is there any way to change the Grub menu wording so that it will show LM 19.3 like original.
Thanks in advanced.
Andrew
Last edited by asway on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Sway
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Restoring Grub Menu

Post by erginemr »

Hi Andrew,

Yes, Grub Customizer has such a bad habit.

You can edit and replace the text to "Linux Mint" instead of "Ubuntu" within the program.
Free as in free speech...
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

On a side note, there is some controversy on Grub-Customizer. You can read about it here, if you are interested:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=261910
Stoof2010
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stoof2010 »

I was told not long ago that I should use grub customizer because of how it works in a way that it makes it tough to fix if you make a mistake.
Editing the file is actually easier in the long run and easily fixed if you make a goof..
asway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asway »

Thanks for the help.
I read your article that you mentioned and I know now that there is no way to get back the original grub system without a timeshift snap shot.
I will try to edit the word in the program like you said.
Since the LM 20 is out today, I will do the clean install instead of upgrading from 19.3 to get rid of grub customizer system.
Andrew
Andrew Sway
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

asway wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:11 am
Thanks for the help.
I read your article that you mentioned and I know now that there is no way to get back the original grub system without a timeshift snap shot.
I will try to edit the word in the program like you said.
Since the LM 20 is out today, I will do the clean install instead of upgrading from 19.3 to get rid of grub customizer system.
Andrew
Likewise, I had also used it to customize my Grub menu. After that topic, I saw that it backed up old files in a subdirectory. Messed up pretty bad while trying to restore them. Had to do a complete reinstall afterwards. :)

As a matter of fact, all you need is the file /etc/default/grub. One can adjust the default selection
and timing from that file, easily.

Return to “Newbie Questions”