Help with learning about GIT on linux mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
arminius
Level 3
Level 3

Help with learning about GIT on linux mint

Post by arminius »

So I'm taking the course over at https://classroom.udacity.com/courses/u ... 116ea4ecd1

I'm at this part.
"QUIZ QUESTION
Did you run git init yet? If not, do it now because you'll need it to answer this quiz!

After running git init, the text "Initialized empty Git repository in " followed by a path. should have appeared. The question is, has anything changed with your command prompt? If so, what?
YES I new see the word master
No, it looks exactly the same.

No matter how many times I repeat it, it never calls me master, so I'm stuck.
even though it says Mac/Linux Setup in lesson 1, it seemed to assume I was running a mac, even though I'm running linux mint.
So I figured I could only come here to solve it.

I'm happy to solve this specific problem or move onto a better tutorial if you know one?

deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help with learning about GIT on linux mint

Post by deck_luck »

I am not going to sign up for udacity to read what you are doing. :roll:

Are you using git as a revision control/management for software development. Assuming we are talking about the same subject, did they give you instructions to determine if git was installed or how to install it?

Please provide the output from the following command:

Code: Select all

dpkg --list git
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

arminius
Level 3
Level 3

Post by arminius »

Sorry, I didn't realize you had to sign in.

Code: Select all

user@Computer:~/udacity-git-course/new-git-project$ dpkg --list git
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  git            1:2.27.0-1~p amd64        fast, scalable, distributed revis

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

I don't really know the full details involved here, but I did see an article recently, in the light of the recent public protesting, and many commercial entities revising product naming or imagery, that github has made some changes to parts of their system and default naming schemes so I have a feeling you are never going to see the completion of that particular question/answer in that exact form.

So I guess that course is outdated, but I suspect you should answer the first option.

But more to the point of the question you need to check into manually setting some appropriate name. Here's a random search result I found, I haven't checked it but it looks relevant: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/428 ... than-maste

deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deck_luck »

Is the quiz asking you if the prompt changed or not? Or are you assuming it was supposed to change.

To get started with git, I would read the following useful information:

man gittutorial
man giteveryday

The git program only calls zcot the "Master Fire Breathing Dragon." :lol:
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

I think it's just a crap quiz/course.

Git doesn't magically update .bashrc on Linux to show the current branch on the command line prompt.

Regular users of git on the command line who want this helpful feature can set it up for themselves but it's not default behaviour out of the box.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 am
I think it's just a crap quiz/course.

Git doesn't magically update .bashrc on Linux to show the current branch on the command line prompt.

Regular users of git on the command line who want this helpful feature can set it up for themselves but it's not default behaviour out of the box.
+1

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

arminius wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:00 pm

even though it says Mac/Linux Setup in lesson 1, it seemed to assume I was running a mac, even though I'm running linux mint.
'Mac' is hardware. Mint is software. Plenty of folks run Mint on their Mac.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”