Windows Guest

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Windows Guest

Post by sevenmpd »

Good Afternoon Im looking for some advice/suggestions I have successfully installed virtualbox on linuux mint 20 and added windows 10 as a guest the only reason for installing windows is to run the Sky Go app.When running the Sky Go app it's struggling to stream so my question is there anything i can remove, disable etc in order to give the Sky Go move resources ?
Thanks
H
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Windows Guest

Post by foxtreat »

first off,installing the Virtualbox Guest additions into your VM, it is an option in the virtual machine when you are running,click on input and select insert guest additions CD
proceed with the installation as needed>
Make sure your Virtualization technology is enabled in BIOS(the exact name will vary depending on if you are running a intel or AMD cpu)
give the virtual machine about Half of your Ram and Half your CPU cores,enable 3D hardware acceleration and allow it 256mb VRAM(this is the maximum setting)
running the VM in a lower resolution might help out too,
however i can not give any concrete advice without knowing more about your machine,may you post the output of the

Code: Select all

inxi -F
command so we can know what we are working with as hardware?
Steam and Gaming bröther
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevenmpd »

Thank you for your reply I belive I have done what you suggested with the exception 'allow it 256mb VRAM' I cannot see how this is done. Maybe I should add that I have not had any problems running other VM's
hope this is the info you requested
thanks
system.odt
(18.09 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I've NO EXPERIENCE with your particular app. My suggestion would be to set up a dual boot and run Wingewoes for the apps that need it, and, perhaps, forego and compatibility issues with running WINE or Virtualbox.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

with the exception 'allow it 256mb VRAM' I cannot see how this is done
In the virtual box manager click on your VM, then settings and then display.

As well as installing guest additions in win did you install the extension pack in VB?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

It's been a few months since I tried it, but I couldn't get Sky Go to work at any reasonable speed at all in a VirtualBox VM.

Fortunately, I kept the original Windows partition on my computer along with all the Linux ones I subsequently added, so if I ever need SkyGo, I boot up into that partition (Windows 7) to run it. It's the only thing I use that partition for.
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevenmpd »

hydrurga thanks for your input I'm new to linux and I have thought about dual booting but have been put off by some of the comments about problems arising from dual booting.
H
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

sevenmpd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 am
hydrurga thanks for your input I'm new to linux and I have thought about dual booting but have been put off by some of the comments about problems arising from dual booting.
H
Dual booting can *sometimes* be problematic, particularly if you install Windows after Linux. Not necessarily so though. You will find guides online on how to do it. If you do decide to do it, two things I would suggest:

(i) Make an image to an external drive of the important partitions on your main hard drive before you create a dual boot so that you can restore that image if things go awry. I use a Macrium Reflect ISO which I generate on a VirtualBox Windows VM but the usual go-to Linux tool for the job is Clonezilla. There are other options out there too. If you're ultra cautious, also back up all your documents to an external drive using a normal file backup tool.

(ii) Have BootRepairDisk on a bootable medium to hand - it's a useful tool if things go awry with partitioning and booting. Given that you may be doing some partitioning too, consider having a "Swiss Army knife" USB stick with GParted Live and something like MiniTool Partition Wizard (I'm old school and prefer using the former Linux tool for modifying Linux partitions and the latter Windows tool for modifying Windows partitions, but that's probably just me - it works fine for me so I keep doing it). Again, I'm unusual in using YUMI on my Windows VM to create that multi-ISO USB stick, but again there are other options.

I hope that doesn't make you nervous. It shouldn't. It's just being ready for all eventualities. If you have your partitions imaged, a good partitioning tool and BootRepairDisk handy on a bootable tools USB, good instructions to follow, and a nice mug of coffee then you can't go far wrong.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

A simple to use linux image backup utility - foxclone, https://foxclone.com/. And more info here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=315557&p=1784922&h ... e#p1784922
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
sevenmpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks to all for your input after 'playing' around I may have an issue with windows/sky go but I also have a major problem with VBox. I tried on the VM windows youtube,netflix and amazon prime none of them would stream so I added a second VM in the form of Ubuntu 20 and nothing would stream so end of virtualbox.
i then installed virt-manager and added Ubuntu as guest not only did all the previous stream but also everything ran faster ! So for the moment I'll leave Virtualbox alone.
thanks for all the advice
H

Return to “Newbie Questions”