initramfs unpacking / decoding failed with linuxmint 20

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rlcomte

initramfs unpacking / decoding failed with linuxmint 20

Post by rlcomte »

Hi,

I have a desktop with Linux Mint 19.3 and Fedora. Normal booting works fine, using apparently the Fedora boot menu, as I installed that after LM 19.3.

I want to move to Linux Mint 20. Downloaded the iso, created a bootable USB from within Linux Mint 19.3.
When booting LM 20 from the USB, the grim error message appears: [xxx] initramfs unpacking failed. Decoding failed.
Then my screen is garbled (in hires using the NVIDIA driver ??) so I cannot continue.

I have tried different ISO's of LM 20 (beta, official). I have tried different USB sticks. Does not help.

Any suggestion?

Rine
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rlcomte

Re: initramfs unpacking / decoding failed with linuxmint 20

Post by rlcomte »

Updating initramfs did not solve the problem.

When booting from USB in compatibility mode, the LM 20 system came up fine.
andy1m

Post by andy1m »

Problem: "initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed", message appears on boot up

solution:

Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and change:

COMPRESS=lz4 to COMPRESS=gzip

then in terminal:

sudo update-initramfs -u
gecko64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gecko64 »

Thank you but how do you do the update when you only have an initramfs prompt ?
I'm able to boot a live USB and mount my encrypted partition, edit the file as you wrote but i really have no idea how to execute the last command to update the initramfs on the mounted hdd and not on my USB drive.
I tried some old kernel, same problem...
In rescue mode, i can read it has a problem with the group mint-vg : Volume group "mint-vg" not found. Cannot process volume groupe mint-vg.
Maybe it's caused because it doesn't ask me the password to decrypt the hdd ?

I'm in this sh** since i updated my Mint 19.3 to Mint 20 on my encrypted hdd.
I changed nothing in my Bios/UEFI.
For a stable version, what a joke... Can't believe they haven't tested this before to switch it in stable version.

Thank you.
juandpineiro

Post by juandpineiro »

gecko64 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:50 pm Thank you but how do you do the update when you only have an initramfs prompt ?
I'm able to boot a live USB and mount my encrypted partition, edit the file as you wrote but i really have no idea how to execute the last command to update the initramfs on the mounted hdd and not on my USB drive.
In rescue mode, i can read it has a problem with the group mint-vg : Volume group "mint-vg" not found. Cannot process volume groupe mint-vg.

For a stable version, what a joke... Can't believe they haven't tested this before to switch it in stable version.

Thank you.
Hey I just ran into this issue (actually the message has been popping up on boot since a couple of days ago, but today was stuck on initramfs boot).

I really would like to know what is causing this issue but in the meantime I was able to repair my install by doing a chroot from the Linux Mint 20 live usb, following this guide on recovering broken systems from live media https://www.turnkeylinux.org/docs/chroo ... air-system

Basically you're logging in as root into your Linux Mint install from the live usb, from there do the steps suggested and reboot. It should boot fine.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

gecko64 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:50 pm Thank you but how do you do the update when you only have an initramfs prompt ?

You created this problem, not the Mint developers. The 'decoding failed' error can be safely ignored for now. That you are at an initramfs prompt is a completely different problem. I recommend that you start a new thread with a more meaningful subject line such as one that includes a reference to disk encryption and initiramfs prompt. I also recommend that, while you are waiting for a response from a helper, you backup your important files if you haven't done so already.
gecko64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gecko64 »

Ok, i'll do a more detailed thread when i'll be back from work because yes, i can't boot my distro and i'm stuck into the initramfs prompt :-(
I followed the upgrade instructions without special modifications of the system before.
I'll try to do a chroot and change the compression from the live USB; maybe it will solve...
All my files have been saved on two differents hdd before; maybe i'll reinstall it if i don't find a solution and restore my backup.

Thank you.
Last edited by gecko64 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gecko64 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:45 am I followed the upgrade instructions
Where from? There aren't any official upgrade instructions yet - the dev team are working on the upgrade path still.

There are various 'ghetto' upgrade instructions floating about the web - all are very much in the 'use at your own risk category' and the 'does this internet random really know what they are talking about' category.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gecko64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gecko64 »

This one : https://www.linuxtechi.com/how-to-upgra ... -20-ulyana
It's the same procedure when i upgrade my Debian servers; edit the source file; did an update, upgrade and finally a dist-upgrade.
And the strange thing is that it no longer ask me the password to decrypt the volume; it remains blocked on the Mint logo, moment where it should ask me this and finally after few seconds, show me this error.
I think something is broken there.
On a FB group, some peoples have met the same error and did a full reinstall.
As it was marked as stable, i though it was ok to do an upgrade :-/
Hopefully, i still have my notebook to work.
Thank you for your help :-)
Last edited by gecko64 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gecko64 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:59 am This one : https://www.linuxtechi.com/how-to-upgra ... -20-ulyana
OK - just take care with third-party blogs. You can be sure the author hasn't tested in anything other than his own set-up. The official upgrade instructions once available will utilise a cli tool called mintupgrade - it includes a function to simulate an upgrade and alert the user to possible package conflicts.

I know Clem is concerned about this upstream bug and the possible implications for the upgrade path -it does sound like it's your issue -there are some worka rounds in the bug report - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1802617

https://github.com/linuxmint/mint20-bet ... -648866914
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gecko64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gecko64 »

I think i'll do a fresh install, restore my backup files and software; it will take me less time.
At least, i've learned new things, thank you ! :-)
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

andy1m wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 pm Problem: "initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed", message appears on boot up
I get that message every boot - it doesn't seem to affect anything, my desktop comes up regardless.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

I thought you said it boots in compatibility mode? That's how - but I'm not sure this particular thing is the root of your problem.
rlcomte wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:45 am When booting from USB in compatibility mode, the LM 20 system came up fine.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

I had this in 19, and now it has reappeared in 20. I think it slows boot down by a few seconds, but otherwise appears harmless (on my laptop). It seems to be a well-known bug that remains unfixed.
And todays' (24/07/2020) updates, including kernel 5.4.0-42, have not fixed it.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Now for the good news.
As of 20/09/20 it's fixed on my system. I got a massive update yesterday and on reboot this morning no annoying error message. I booted twice, just to make sure, and no message.
Cool.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Ceilidh2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:11 am Now for the good news.
As of 20/09/20 it's fixed on my system. I got a massive update yesterday and on reboot this morning no annoying error message. I booted twice, just to make sure, and no message.
Cool.
I'll admit to being an updating novice, but I ran an update through Update Manager and the "problem" remains.

Return to “Beginner Questions”