Loging as root

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
myface68
Level 3
Level 3

Loging as root

Post by myface68 »

How do I login as root?. I try to copy /home to external usb drive, but got Permission deny. Can not find if file manager to change the permission.
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Loging as root

Post by GS3 »

myface68 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 am
How do I login as root?. I try to copy /home to external usb drive, but got Permission deny. Can not find if file manager to change the permission.
In general you do not need to log in as root, rather you use "sudo" before the command: sudo cp ...

Are you sure you want to copy /home (owned by root) or /home/user1 (owned by user).
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
myface68
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface68 »

I wanted to copy /home/username where all my "stuff" is installed. I am planing to do clean install v20 Cinamon. I did clone the hd to external ssd usb drive.
I should be able to copy back my /home/username and do not loose anything?. I really do not want to reinstall VB with win7 in and all the software. It took me a while to set the way I want.
zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

For this type of thing you can use Mint "Backup tool", check in the menu.
zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

myface68 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:47 am
did clone the hd to external ssd usb drive.
I should be able to copy back my /home/username
No, that is incorrect, and sometimes doing that will make the system boot loop. Doing a copy like that from one major version to another major version is never just a standard that it is supposed to work like that. Sometimes it is fine, other times it is completely incompatible.

Also, when you copy that /home stuff you will still not have your personal programs installed into the system directories so you are only copying old config files anyway. And, sure, some of them can be very useful, but it's better to take a more direct migration route.
myface68
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface68 »

If I do backup, will I be able to restore my /home or I am screw anyway?.
zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

Open Mint "Backup tool". Now see "Personal data" -> [ Back up now ]. You can save what you want, even the entire /home/username directory, including hidden files. But you need to run the other part of this tool also so any system-installed programs could be reinstalled on the new system. You can pick and choose what you want to be installed if you import this saved file at the new system.

Use the Backup tool then save that file to a usb stick or some removable drive or another data partition or whatever you like. Also save the programs.list file.

So, I'm saying saving all of "/home/user" is not enough. Because you should also take a list of programs.

And also saving all of "/home/user" is too much. Because there's not even any need to blindly replace ALL user files on the system with the old files of possibly different versions from the old system.

But if you have 3rd party ppa's or alternate .deb files installed, then this tool does not account for those software sources so you have to take note of that.

Return to “Newbie Questions”