Making Terminal Always Run in the background like Manjaro

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkA

Making Terminal Always Run in the background like Manjaro

Post by MarkA »

I tried Manjaro just a month ago but quickly jumped back again to Linux in just an hour. My laptop didn't handle it well, it crashes every time so I just gave up on Arch based Distros. Now that I tried Manjaro XFCE, one thing that I really liked about it is the terminal is always running in the backgroud so when you open it with a shortcut it quickly comes up. Unlike now in my laptop Linux Mint XFCE it is slow opening up. So I am asking if theres a way to make the terminal in Linux Mint XFCE act like in Manjaro XFCE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Making Terminal Always Run in the background like Manjaro

Post by Moonstone Man »

MarkA wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 am So I am asking if theres a way to make the terminal in Linux Mint XFCE act like in Manjaro XFCE?
I think you're referring to yakuake. You should be able to install it from the software manager, or from a terminal using apt install yakuake.
I tried Manjaro just a month ago but quickly jumped back again...
I tried it this morning and gave it away. It's gone to the dogs in the last few months. The Manjaro Hardware Manager gets in the way of everything, including it offering an eye-watering number of differently configured nVidia drivers of the same version, none of which actually work. It's a pity because Manjaro used to be very stable on this machine.
MarkA

Post by MarkA »

Thank you for your response. I'll try to install it tomorrow. It's currently midnight.

The worst possible giveaway that I should have not tried to install Manjaro on my laptop is when the Live Boot from a Usb stick is already experiencing crashing and hanging. :lol:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:16 am I think you're referring to yakuake. You should be able to install it from the software manager, or from a terminal using apt install yakuake.
For GTK based desktops guake pulls in far fewer dependencies - apt install guake

Code: Select all

apt install -s guake
[sudo] password for steve:               
Reading package lists... Done
<snip>
0 to upgrade, 6 to newly install, 0 to remove and 22 not to upgrade.

Code: Select all

apt install -s yakuake
Reading package lists... Done
<snip>
0 to upgrade, 145 to newly install, 0 to remove and 22 not to upgrade.
Last edited by smurphos on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:16 am I think you're referring to yakuake. You should be able to install it from the software manager, or from a terminal using apt install yakuake.
For GTK based desktops guake pulls in far less dependencies - apt install guake
Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction.

Return to “Beginner Questions”