Complex Launchers not working? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Complex Launchers not working? [SOLVED]

Post by ralplpcr »

I've noticed with Cinnamon Mint 20 that it seems what I'll call "complex" launchers no longer function?

I'm defining a "complex" launcher as one that triggers more than 1 command: for example, if I wanted a shortcut to launch Firefox *and* Google Chrome simultaneously. In Cinnamon Mint 19.1, I was able to create a launcher that would do this. The command would be firefox & /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable &.

This command will still work if it is copy/pasted (or typed) into a terminal, however.

I know as a workaround, I can create a bash file with my command in it, and use a launcher to point to that bash file.... I'm just wondering why it will no longer work as part of a stand-alone launcher?
Last edited by ralplpcr on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Complex Launchers not working?

Post by smurphos »

ralplpcr wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 pm
I know as a workaround, I can create a bash file with my command in it, and use a launcher to point to that bash file.... I'm just wondering why it will no longer work as part of a stand-alone launcher?
Use

Code: Select all

sh -c 'firefox & /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable &'
There were a number of changes in the backend code for launchers between 19.1 and 20 - to fix bugs like launchers including pkexec in the command line not working from the desktop in 19.1. A side effect of those changes is that if you want to use shell syntax in an Exec line you need to specify you are running a shell.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Complex Launchers not working?

Post by ralplpcr »

I suppose that makes sense - - it was not something that was clear to me in any of the release notes, but I can understand why such a change would be more secure.

I can confirm that your suggestion does work. It is a little less convenient perhaps, but I can work with it.

Thank you for clarifying! I will mark this as SOLVED. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”