[SOLVED] Can't access my home directory when booting via the live cd/iso

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
KeithGabel77
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't access my home directory when booting via the live cd/iso

Post by KeithGabel77 »

Hello my friends.

I made my system unbootable due to removing/purging my python3 installed version.

I wanted to access my home directory via booting into the system with the iso.

I tried to click that shortcut (Access Your Private Data.desktop) but got an error that I can't do this.

And when I use the commend in the readme file I get this error (encrypted private directory is not setup properly)

How this can be solved please ?
Last edited by KeithGabel77 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can't access my home directory when booting via the live cd/iso

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

KeithGabel77 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 am
I tried to click that shortcut (Access Your Private Data.desktop) but got an error that I can't do this.
The statement "but got an error that I can't do this" is completely undefined and is therefore meaningless to anyone but you.
KeithGabel77 wrote:I made my system unbootable due to removing/purging my python3 installed version.
It's worse than unbootable. You've completely clobbered it. Dead as a door nail.
KeithGabel77 wrote:And when I use the commend in the readme file I get this error (encrypted private directory is not setup properly)
That begs the question of whether or not you have encrypted your home directory, but you don't even tell us if that's true or not.

We need far more detail than your personal interpretation of messages, such as the actual messages themselves. You might like to click the link at the top of the page. You can't miss it, it's in red and says...
Forum rules
Pay particular attention to item 5. If you reply with code from a terminal, wrap it in code tags. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

removing/purging my python3 installed version
No idea as to the motivation for this but you can't unscramble scrambled eggs.
NEVER remove a distro supplied python file. You can add other
versions but leave the system installed version alone.
I hope you can recover your personal files.
Linux Crux=Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam+libera ab tyrannis
KeithGabel77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithGabel77 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 pm
KeithGabel77 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 am
The statement "but got an error that I can't do this" is completely undefined and is therefore meaningless to anyone but you.
KeithGabel77 wrote:I made my system unbootable due to removing/purging my python3 installed version.
It's worse than unbootable. You've completely clobbered it. Dead as a door nail.
KeithGabel77 wrote:And when I use the commend in the readme file I get this error (encrypted private directory is not setup properly)
That begs the question of whether or not you have encrypted your home directory, but you don't even tell us if that's true or not.

We need far more detail than your personal interpretation of messages, such as the actual messages themselves. You might like to click the link at the top of the page. You can't miss it, it's in red and says...
Forum rules
Pay particular attention to item 5. If you reply with code from a terminal, wrap it in code tags. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.
You are right, here are screenshots for my problem.

I have my home directory encrypted and I know the password. Isn't it the same password of the login, as during the setup I remember that I was not entitled to write a specific password for the home directory encryption.

Those screenshots after mounting the hard-drive.

Last edited by KeithGabel77 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeithGabel77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithGabel77 »

all41 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:01 pm
removing/purging my python3 installed version
No idea as to the motivation for this but you can't unscramble scrambled eggs.
NEVER remove a distro supplied python file. You can add other
versions but leave the system installed version alone.
I hope you can recover your personal files.
Hard lesson has been taught.

Thank you for your kind wishes.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

KeithGabel77 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:43 am
I have my home directory encrypted and I know the password. Isn't it the same password of the login, as during the setup I remember that I was not entitled to write a specific password for the home directory encryption.
You're far safer to use Veracrypt secure containers. I can't help you to recover from an encrypted home. I don't use encryption because I can't see the purpose of it in a home setup, it's prone to major data loss, and it makes backups a nightmare. This might help:

viewtopic.php?t=315207

I think an encrypted home is done using eCryptfs so that might get you out of trouble.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056672 ... -in-ubuntu

That may also offer some help.
KeithGabel77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithGabel77 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:05 am
KeithGabel77 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:43 am
You're far safer to use Veracrypt secure containers. I can't help you to recover from an encrypted home. I don't use encryption because I can't see the purpose of it in a home setup, it's prone to major data loss, and it makes backups a nightmare. This might help:

viewtopic.php?t=315207

I think an encrypted home is done using eCryptfs so that might get you out of trouble.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056672 ... -in-ubuntu

That may also offer some help.
I will try out your suggested soluitons, but in the same context, could you help me with what (WharfRat) is saying in this post as I don't understand it.

viewtopic.php?p=1001985#p1001985

This part to be specific (You should be able to mount your old linux partition to /mnt)
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

KeithGabel77 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:15 am
I will try out your suggested soluitons, but in the same context, could you help me with what (WharfRat) is saying in this post as I don't understand it.

This part to be specific (You should be able to mount your old linux partition to /mnt)
If we assume that your partition is /dev/sda2 then you would issue this command: sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

You must replace /dev/sda2 with the disk and partition identifier for your encrypted home. You then follow that with /usr/bin/ecryptfs-recover-private.

/mnt is a directory off the root.
KeithGabel77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithGabel77 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:21 am
KeithGabel77 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:15 am

If we assume that your partition is /dev/sda2 then you would issue this command: sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

You must replace /dev/sda2 with the disk and partition identifier for your encrypted home. You then follow that with /usr/bin/ecryptfs-recover-private.

/mnt is a directory off the root.
I would like to thank you a lot, my problem has been solved using this HOW-TO (viewtopic.php?t=315207)

There is just minor tweaking that need to be made, so I will post about it in the thread there.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

KeithGabel77 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:02 am
I would like to thank you a lot...
Thanks but I didn't do much :)
KeithGabel77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithGabel77 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:04 am
KeithGabel77 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:02 am
I would like to thank you a lot...
Thanks but I didn't do much :)
You did everything honestly, stop being humble :P :lol: