installing windows 10 on linux mint Tricia dell laptop without any partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dbmatre
Level 1
Level 1

installing windows 10 on linux mint Tricia dell laptop without any partition

Post by dbmatre »

Hello All,
I've installed Linux mint Tricia on dell laptop without any partition on hard disk. I'm super happy with Linux but I want to use Power BI Microsoft application and need windows on laptop for this purpose.

Could you please guide me to some tutorial that has process to install windows 10 on Linux laptop that has no partition on hard disk?

Please let me know if you need more information about my existing system.

Thank you.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: installing windows 10 on linux mint Tricia dell laptop without any partition

Post by ZakGordon »

I'm going to suggest you have made a mistake right away and will need to start over!

The BEST way to install Linux Mint and Windows on the same system is to leave Windows alone (so have that installed FIRST on the system) then you can easily install Linux Mint alongside it, Pjtor (one of our helpers here) has a great website to help with most things related to Linux Mint:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

But yeah if this computer came with Windows 10 already installed, you need to get that back imho. That is what i would do (just to avoid a lot of complexity and problems in the future).
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: installing windows 10 on linux mint Tricia dell laptop without any partition

Post by decrepit »

So if you only have linux, probably the best solution is to run windows in a virtual box. That will save you going through a complete reinstall, because it's easier to install windows first then linux.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

the Windows System does like to in 1st place .. on any drive,
and thus the LinuxMint System, would be in second place.

you can use the Gparted program, on your LinuxMint Live Media,
to create an vacant partition, at the start of the drive, and before the existing LinuxMint System.

then point the Windows Installer to that New & vacant Partition,
& let it do it's thing .. afterwards, you will also need to repair the LinuxMint Boot Loader.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

dbmatre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbmatre »

Thank you for your reply. I'm not confident at this and worried to get stuck or mess up the entire thing.
Pierre wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:45 am
the Windows System does like to in 1st place .. on any drive,
and thus the LinuxMint System, would be in second place.

you can use the Gparted program, on your LinuxMint Live Media,
to create an vacant partition, at the start of the drive, and before the existing LinuxMint System.

then point the Windows Installer to that New & vacant Partition,
& let it do it's thing .. afterwards, you will also need to repair the LinuxMint Boot Loader.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

then use the Gparted program,
to grab an screen_shot of the drive, & post that back here, on your next reply.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

dbmatre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbmatre »

Thanks Pierre,
I've shared screenshot of the gparted for your reference, if possible please me guide further.
Pierre wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:54 am
then use the Gparted program,
to grab an screen_shot of the drive, & post that back here, on your next reply.
Attachments
Selection_395.png

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

so, that is the standard, single partition, that is the New Normal.
- - in 64 bit mode - - so there is an EFI partition, as well.
:)

therefore, use Gparted again, from that LinuxMint Live Media,
& move the SDA2 to the RHS, some what, depending on how much room, that you wish to make available.
- - you will need to click on the 'key' icon, in order to un-lock that SDA2, as it's is marked as 'in use'
or else you will not be able to adjust the SDA2 partition size.

you could consider, in giving 300 - 500Gb over to the New Vacant area :o
& you can leave it vacant, and then point the Windows Installer to that New Vacant Area,
or you can also format that New Vacant Area as NTFS - - from Gparted, again.

dbmatre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbmatre »

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your help. Could you please point me to some stepwise resource? There is chance that one wrong step or missing step and I will mess up everythihing.
Pierre wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:19 pm
so, that is the standard, single partition, that is the New Normal.
- - in 64 bit mode - - so there is an EFI partition, as well.
:)

therefore, use Gparted again, from that LinuxMint Live Media,
& move the SDA2 to the RHS, some what, depending on how much room, that you wish to make available.
- - you will need to click on the 'key' icon, in order to un-lock that SDA2, as it's is marked as 'in use'
or else you will not be able to adjust the SDA2 partition size.

you could consider, in giving 300 - 500Gb over to the New Vacant area :o
& you can leave it vacant, and then point the Windows Installer to that New Vacant Area,
or you can also format that New Vacant Area as NTFS - - from Gparted, again.

dbmatre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbmatre »

Thanks @decrpit. I tried this virtual box thing but getting stuck at installing proper Oracle virtual version and couldn't go ahead.
decrepit wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:37 am
So if you only have linux, probably the best solution is to run windows in a virtual box. That will save you going through a complete reinstall, because it's easier to install windows first then linux.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

OK check this site, it's what I followed when I installed mine and it works fine.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

dbmatre wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:14 am
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your help. Could you please point me to some stepwise resource? There is chance that one wrong step or missing step and I will mess up everythihing.
something like this Tutorial:
https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-from-Ubuntu
in that example, it's Installing an Windows 10 System along-side of an Ubuntu System,
as the steps are the same way .. you still would use the Gparted on the Linux Live Media,

the Windows ISO is also obtained, the same way, and written to an usb stick .. the same way.
- - it would be prudent, to obtain the Windows ISO & write that to an usb stick .. first
then use the Gparted section, to re-size the drive & then boot the usb stick, to start the Windows Installer.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

dbmatre wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:30 am
Thanks @decrpit. I tried this virtual box thing but getting stuck at installing proper Oracle virtual version and couldn't go ahead.
decrepit wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:37 am
if you modify your 1st post to include the following information:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318644
then we can also advise you, if it's possible to utilise an VirtualBox .. to run the Windows System within, that.

dbmatre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbmatre »

I tried virtual box and installing windows on linux but could not do it successfully so finally went for clean window install and then installed linux , Thank you all for your support.

Return to “Newbie Questions”