XPS 15 fans problem with linux mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TeoMande
Level 1
Level 1

XPS 15 fans problem with linux mint

Post by TeoMande »

Hello I'm new here so sorry if I do or say something wrong, I usally don't ask question in forums because there is always someone with the same problem out there on the internet and i don't want to bother anybody asking again the same thing, but long story short, i found other poeple with this problem but no real solution. The problem as the title say is that the fan when i use linux mint on my dell xps 15 9560 are always mid-high to very-high and also loud, this happens with minimal cpu load (we talk about an i7-7700HQ it shouldn't be stressent just for doing nothing and sistem monitor confirm that usage is under 10%) also CPU temperature isn't a porblem because with

Code: Select all

sensors
i checked also that is around 40/50°C.

The system is a dual boot with windows and with windows temperatures are the same, cpu usage a bit more (like it's normal on windows i guess) but fan are much much quieter i imagine that the treshold for the fans to start cool the cpu is different in windows and in linux maybe ? so i should change that ? I don't knwo if it's true because the fan speed control should be in the bios.

Sidenote: when i use

Code: Select all

sensors
i get not only the cpu temperature for each core but also the fans speed and from what i read (again from other forums but without fully understanding) this should mean that i can teoretically control my fan speed.

well I hope that was clear and not too much, thank you for the support and I hope I'll be able to fix this problem beacuse I'm really enjoying my linux experiment.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: XPS 15 fans problem with linux mint

Post by ZakGordon »

So i thought this might be an 'overheating' issue (my specialty!), but no. Fan control, as in user configured fan control is just super difficult in Linux (for some reason). I 'think' the best bet might be to adjust your bios settings (if you can) so the fans run a little less hard at set temps etc.

Psensor is a good GUI based tool you can find (and install) from the Software Manager to easily monitor temps on the fly (like while you do other things like browse and watch youtube etc) and it might be a good idea to run a series of tests to see what temps you are hitting under different usage situations. This way you can be sure any adjustments you make in bios are going to be safe.

You can try looking into something like this thread talks about (Mint being based on Ubuntu it should all apply as described):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/22108/h ... peed#46135

I tried many things over the years on various laptops (HP and Acer) and never found a working software solution, so settled on making fans blow harder in my systems in bios (where my problems were always related to over-heating). So maybe a reverse approach could work for you? like i said just run some tests to be sure you are not over-heating (causing your fans to ramp up) before changing bios fan settings.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Welcome to the forum Teomande! Glad you like your LinuxMint experience, but it is indeed a bit of a bummer that you have got that annoying sound of the fans.

Your question how to solve the fan noise is quite understandable and it is a good question, which I have questioned myself as well in the past. Unfortunately, as ZakGordon already explained, trying to control the fans in Linux can be very difficult, if not impossible. This is mostly due to the fact that hardware manufacturers only support Microsoft Windows (90% market share) and hardware manufacturers do NOT support Linux (2-3% market share).

I dont know of many forummembers who succesfully have controlled their fans with additional software. I am afraid this fan issue is one of the few pitfalls of using Linux in general and that is the sobering fact that a few hardware issues are sometimes difficult to resolve, fan control being one of them...

Fancontrol is an issue for a rainy day, with nothing else to do and when one wants to tinker endlessly with settings, with possible little to none result... :cry:
TeoMande
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TeoMande »

carum carvi wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:25 pm
Welcome to the forum Teomande! Glad you like your LinuxMint experience, but it is indeed a bit of a bummer that you have got that annoying sound of the fans.

Your question how to solve the fan noise is quite understandable and it is a good question, which I have questioned myself as well in the past. Unfortunately, as ZakGordon already explained, trying to control the fans in Linux can be very difficult, if not impossible. This is mostly due to the fact that hardware manufacturers only support Microsoft Windows (90% market share) and hardware manufacturers do NOT support Linux (2-3% market share).

I dont know of many forummembers who succesfully have controlled their fans with additional software. I am afraid this fan issue is one of the few pitfalls of using Linux in general and that is the sobering fact that a few hardware issues are sometimes difficult to resolve, fan control being one of them...

Fancontrol is an issue for a rainy day, with nothing else to do and when one wants to tinker endlessly with settings, with possible little to none result... :cry:
ZakGordon wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:09 am
So i thought this might be an 'overheating' issue (my specialty!), but no. Fan control, as in user configured fan control is just super difficult in Linux (for some reason). I 'think' the best bet might be to adjust your bios settings (if you can) so the fans run a little less hard at set temps etc.

Psensor is a good GUI based tool you can find (and install) from the Software Manager to easily monitor temps on the fly (like while you do other things like browse and watch youtube etc) and it might be a good idea to run a series of tests to see what temps you are hitting under different usage situations. This way you can be sure any adjustments you make in bios are going to be safe.

You can try looking into something like this thread talks about (Mint being based on Ubuntu it should all apply as described):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/22108/h ... peed#46135

I tried many things over the years on various laptops (HP and Acer) and never found a working software solution, so settled on making fans blow harder in my systems in bios (where my problems were always related to over-heating). So maybe a reverse approach could work for you? like i said just run some tests to be sure you are not over-heating (causing your fans to ramp up) before changing bios fan settings.
Thank you both for the support, i will try what you suggest at least now i know that it's not only my problem and it's not only me that find difficult (and painfully timeconsuming) play around with Mint or Bios settings looking for a solution. The worse thing is that, I know there is less support for linux of course but my pc is sold by dell itself with ubuntu on it on the "developer edition" and since Mint is based on Ubuntu i guessed that it should be "ready to go" with little to no issue but there is this problem and there is also with plain Ubuntu.
Another thing i don't understand is why on windows the fans go way slowlier at same temp (or even higher temp) if fan speed is a thing you control (if you can control it and i can't) in the bios. If fan speed it's an intruction given by the bios shouldn't the behaviour be the same in evry operating system ?
Then a final a more important question: noise apart, is it not healthy for my pc to use the fun much more than in windows ? or maybe is even beneficial beacuse it increase the cpu longevity ? (Just to know if at the end it's "healthier" running Linux or Windows for my pc Longevity)
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

TeoMande wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:05 pm
If fan speed it's an intruction given by the bios shouldn't the behaviour be the same in evry operating system ?
Then a final a more important question: noise apart, is it not healthy for my pc to use the fun much more than in windows ? or maybe is even beneficial beacuse it increase the cpu longevity ? (Just to know if at the end it's "healthier" running Linux or Windows for my pc Longevity)
I googled the specs of your specific computer and it is one heck of a beautiful machine. Many Linux programmers use the Dell XPS series, so one would think it is Linux compatible...

I read online though that there are many complaints about the fan noise in the Dell XPS 15, even when Windows is factory installed. But you dont have problems with the fans with Windows installed, only when you run Linux...

If it were so simple that the standard BIOS setting would solve hardware compatibility conflicts, unfortunately it isnt so...
As for your last question about hard blowing fans increasing the longevity of your hardware: YES, you are right. It is proven that higher temperatures wears down the hardware quicker. A cooler environment for your hardware, caused by (however irrating) loud blowing fans will make your beautiful XPS 15 computer last longer with Linux... :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”