How Can I Copy Files From An Unmounted Disk?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

How Can I Copy Files From An Unmounted Disk?

Post by abrogard »

An unmounted Windows disk?

My windows10 system disk died and no windows system can even see it.
But my Linux Mint machine can see it.
And the SMART report from within the 'disk' app or section, whatever, says it is okay.

But it is not mounted, it says.
Clicking on it in another part of Mint gives an error message that the disk will not mount, refuses to mount, has a corrupt file system or something, and asks me to take it back to windows and shut it down correctly. Something like that.

But, of course, I can't take it back to Windows because windows machines don't see it.

So I'm hoping there's something within Linux Mint I can use to either get my data off this disk or make it Linux bootable perhaps or fix the windows error it has or.... something....

:)
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How Can I Copy Files From An Unmounted Disk?

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

abrogard wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:44 am
Clicking on it in another part of Mint gives an error message that the disk will not mount, refuses to mount, has a corrupt file system or something, and asks me to take it back to windows and shut it down correctly. Something like that.
You cannot access data on an unmounted disk. You could try mounting it manually using the command line.

Post the output of lsblk, using code tags, and identify the device and partition that you are attempting to mount. You'll see the code tags icon </> when you reply.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

Code: Select all

dave@linuxMint ~ $ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
fd0      2:0    1     4K  0 disk 
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0 928.5G  0 part /
├─sda2   8:2    0     1K  0 part 
└─sda5   8:5    0     3G  0 part [SWAP]
sdb      8:16   0   1.8T  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   0   499M  0 part 
├─sdb2   8:18   0    99M  0 part 
├─sdb3   8:19   0    16M  0 part 
├─sdb4   8:20   0   1.8T  0 part 
└─sdb5   8:21   0   557M  0 part 
dave@linuxMint ~ $ 
sdb is the windows disk. sdb4 is the data partition - mint tells me.

hmmm.. tried to insert a screenshot of the smart output but it 'was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image' so I've done something wrong/dont' know how to do it.

p.s. should we be able to mount windows disks? and they become readable to mint?
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

You might try nftsfix with the -d option. Use at your own risk.

Code: Select all

ntfsfix v2017.3.23AR.3 (libntfs-3g)

Usage: ntfsfix [options] device
    Attempt to fix an NTFS partition.

-b, --clear-bad-sectors Clear the bad sector list
    -d, --clear-dirty       Clear the volume dirty flag
    -h, --help              Display this help
    -n, --no-action         Do not write anything
    -V, --version           Display version information

For example: ntfsfix /dev/hda6

abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

could I/should I copy the disk first? I don't have another 2T but maybe a copy of files from each partition would be less than the 2T that would be needed for a clone.

Monday I can get another disk.

and what are the dangers of using that ntfsfix? If I just clear a dirty flag that enables - I guess - the drive to be looked at as though it's okay. For read only what harm could there be in that?

and can I set it 'read only' if I clear that flag?

You know there's some suggestion that the thing is in some kind of half hibernated mode or somesuch, caused by a power outage interrupting a process involved in hibernation.

that perhaps fits with the 'dirty' flag? The process sets that flag as it goes about its business maybe....
ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

NTFS boot can also be repaired with the Macrium restore USB.
Desktop:Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 16gb RAM
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

What are referring to there? You mean make a Macrium bootable usb and do a boot repair?

I tried that via Kyhi's rescue usb. Which has Macrium on it. Presence of that bad disk wouldn't allow it to boot. I couldn't do it.

But now I've got it seeable on my Linux Mint machine and look like going ahead with a ddrescue.

If you see an easier/better path please let me know more information about it.

:)
ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

It has to be a macrium BOOT disk, not the macrium program. It uses windows ep to boot the macrium Liv USB.
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

Yes, I think we're talking about the same thing. Kyhi's rescue 'disk' (usb) is a boot disk using the windows PE and once there you've access to a whole swag of tools kyhi has bundled up. Macrium amonst them. And macrium boot problem fixer etc.

But as I say when this disk is in the system it prevents the system coming up. i.e. in a working win10 system: add the bad disk and it's not longer a working win10 system. It won't boot.

Try to boot from the usb and it still won't go.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

disks are not mounted---only partitions defined in the partition table are mountable
Linux Crux=Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam+libera ab tyrannis
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

Yep. I was wondering - what is 'mounting' anyway?

I'd guess it is merely the recording in a table somewhere of the address to which the computer will send messages to the device?

And that address wouldn't simply be the partition startpoint for I see already in Mint it can identify partitions - start and endpoints - but claims to be unable to mount the disk.

So what happens when it cannot be mounted? The process perhaps involves a handshake and there's no handshake?

What?
ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

Remove Windows from the boot list of the uefi. Then try the USB to boot. Disable.
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

I could bring the disk back and try that but do you think it worth doing? This is not the normal boot sector problem. It precedes that, surely? It is something that prevents windows even seeing the disk.

And remove windows from the boot list? You don't mean change the boot order? Which, of course, is what I've already done before booting to Kyhi. You mean remove? I didn't know that could be done. What I generally do when stripping a system down to what I want to boot is simply detach those drives I don't want.

There's a few warnings about writing to disks in this state so I'm wary of playing with it too much. Currently I'm on the verge of copying a partition off it to a safe place with ddrescue as soon as I get a disk big enough to take it.

After that I'll come back to windows and try these things - if linux doesn't fix it.
ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

Kep the USB boot inserted and then in the BIOS / UEFI disable all fixed disks from booting. Disabling is not deleting. I often have to do it with laptops which have a limited and less sophisticated BIOS / UEFI structure. If the disk was seriously damaged, it wouldn't show up in the BIOS, and its partitions would not be identified by Linux, even if you cannot access them. If the USB live boots, then there is a chance that the partitions can be repaired.
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

It won't work. I got a machine to boot from Kyhi and ran Macrium but that machine couldn't see the disk so Macrium couldn't see it either.

that's funny though isn't it, come to think of it: that's the machine, the bios, not seeing the disk isn't it?

the other machine that I run linux on sees it okay I guess else linux wouldn't see it. I wonder if it's a bios problem with machine is making things more complicated...
ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

If the bios doesn't see it, that may be the source of the issue. Move and install the drive on your linux machine and see if it is accessible there. If not, then try a generic macrium live USB and not from a tool collection not booted by macrium. you can also check out the macrium forum. They are very helpful.

Finally, we are all giving you advice blindly. a disk layout is insufficient info. Also, it's unclear how many computers are you talking about?
asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Post by asinoro »

From Mint, Menu > Gparted select the partition, at the tool bar Partition and then check. Repeat it to all partitions except the one of Mint, because only if you do from live USB works and unmounted.

Check also this as ultimate solution:
https://www.technibble.com/guide-using- ... over-data/
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

Right I'm all set to go. The new disk just arrived.

A 2T Seagate. That should be big enough I hope.

lsblk shows the bad drive as 1.8T.

I put the new drive in - into my Linux Mint box; I'll do everything there - but the new drive doesn't show up at all. What must I do to make it appear?

I installed gddrescue and I'm all set to follow the 'ultimate solution' directions suggested by asinoro but I guess I'll need to get the new drive recognised first.
ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

If you are still having problems recognizing the disk, plug the cable from the drive into another motherboard SATA socket, and if that doesn't work, change the SATA cable as well. My bet is on the motherboard SATA socket being the problem.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

ineuw wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 pm
If you are still having problems recognizing the disk, plug the cable from the drive into another motherboard SATA socket, and if that doesn't work, change the SATA cable as well. My bet is on the motherboard SATA socket being the problem.
Or the poster could just partition and format it first.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Return to “Newbie Questions”