Major Difference between Cinnamon and Mate versions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kaman7580
Level 1
Level 1

Major Difference between Cinnamon and Mate versions

Post by kaman7580 »

Currently I have Ubuntu 20.04. I installed Linux Mint 19.3 on one of my older PCs and I was very impressed. Now I want to shift from Ubuntu to Mint. I want to know what's the biggest difference between Mate and Cinnamon. Specifically, what features will I be missing in Mate. I am a CS undergrad student. Most of my work on laptop is for programming, Machine Learning, etc. Would there be any specific things I might miss out on Mint if I leave Ubuntu? Please help, I am literally very confused.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Major Difference between Cinnamon and Mate versions

Post by majpooper »

kaman7580 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:45 am
Currently I have Ubuntu 20.04. I installed Linux Mint 19.3 on one of my older PCs and I was very impressed. Now I want to shift from Ubuntu to Mint. I want to know what's the biggest difference between Mate and Cinnamon. Specifically, what features will I be missing in Mate. I am a CS undergrad student. Most of my work on laptop is for programming, Machine Learning, etc. Would there be any specific things I might miss out on Mint if I leave Ubuntu? Please help, I am literally very confused.
First Mint is Ubuntu based so no you won't loose any operational capability going from Ubuntu to Mint. I guess it depends what you mean by features they are the same OS with but with different DE (Desktop Environments). So some of the default software is different - file manager, terminal emulator and so forth. However, just as an example, if you prefer MATE as a DE but like the file manager that is default with Cinnamon that is an easy thing to change.

Make a live USB of both and compare - MATE "supposedly" takes less resources to run than Cinnamon on the other hand Cinnamon is "supposedly" more polished. I emphasize supposedly because when it come to DE folks get very opinionated and there tends to be disagreement so you you should see for yourself.

A quick Google search Cinnamon vs MATE and you can get all kinds of info
https://linuxhint.com/linux_mint_cinnamon_vs_mate/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgzT2dqZ7Es
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I am a Cinnamon fan period.

I tried the other DE versions, and found that what I enjoyed about Cinnamon was lacking in all of the other DE versions.

I would end of trying "to fix" the desktops so that they would "work right", e.g. would be more like Cinnamon.

with 19.3 and now 20.0 Cinnamon has pretty much been "fixed" as far as Overhead requirements.
IMO, it is not slowing down my PCs at all.

I have installed 19.3 Cinnamon on 4 different laptops of varying age, and it is performing very quickly on all of them.
The speed at which it works depends on the ECU, RAM, Video cards.

Cinnamon is so popular because it allows the general populous to have an environment that "we are accustomed to" having nearly all of us migrated away with Microsoft and Windows...

Cinnamon supports the same Keyboard Shortcuts that are present in MS Windows.
here WK means the Windows Key or in Linux "smartkey"
  • WK+e opens the file manager
    WK+d collapses all of the open windows to the DE, or will restore the Windows that were open.
and a lot more are supported, those are the two that I use many times a day.

Cinnamon has a much more usable Menu Structure than any of the other DE versions and it contains access to all of the main features of the Cinnamon release.

Cinnamon is just more easier to use for those who have not lived with Unix most of their life.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kris345
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kris345 »

I spent some time on various Ubuntu releases (12,14,16,18,20) trying to be an escapee from win7, then win8.1 (with shell to make it look like win7). A friend suggested Mint so I tried Cinnamon and adapted to it very easily - especially the ease of adding (Settings/Preferences) applets and desklets to monitor hardware sensors while I'm running (core heat, cpu, net, mem, etc) These are things that I was able to fairly easily do on Ubuntu (top bar shell) with an add-on and am much more easily able to do on Mint Cinnamon (it's built in). I did try Mate briefly (because that's what my recommending friend was actually on) but didn't like it and came back to Cinnamon. I do keep a dual boot to 8.1 "just in case" but am fast running out of excuses to keep it around. I full backup with Clonezilla and partial with Macrium (just in case). Running about 100GB on a 250GB SSD mixed (ext4, NTFS, etc) and external 2TB (via Sabrent USB3) for backups and stuffs. This gives me good capability for "off-site" backups as well. (Old laptop BUT with USB3 capability built in.) (Booting UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot)
-- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz. Triple Boot: (UEFI/GPT)(NOT via grub!) Mint 20 Cinnamon, Win8.1 Pro x64), Win10 Pro x64. 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. --
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

kaman7580 wrote:
I want to know what's the biggest difference between Mate and Cinnamon.
Specifically, what features will I be missing in Mate.
You wont be missing anything and you can always install specific software that you might need for your study, independent of whether you choose Mate or Cinnamon. You dont have to worry one bit about missing features. :D I simply would go for the more popular Cinnamon version.

kaman7580 wrote:
I am a CS undergrad student. Most of my work on laptop is for programming, Machine Learning, etc. Would there be any specific things I might miss out on Mint if I leave Ubuntu?
Same answer, you wont be missing out on anything. No worries. :D
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:57 am
with 19.3 and now 20.0 Cinnamon has pretty much been "fixed" as far as Overhead requirements.
IMO, it is not slowing down my PCs at all.

I have installed 19.3 Cinnamon on 4 different laptops of varying age, and it is performing very quickly on all of them.
The speed at which it works depends on the ECU, RAM, Video cards.
Yeah . . . I am a Cinnamon fanboy as well. The proverbial "they" seem to always say MATE or Xfce are lighter and run better on older systems but lately as AZ says it seems Cinnamon runs pretty well old older systems as well. I guess if you have something really really old then you are probably going to need to run a different OS anyway like lubuntu or Puppy linux.

And of course there is the Cinnamon that you get out of the box that runs just fine and then there is the Cinnamon that you can make to look and feel anyway you want. I have made Cinnamon look like Windows 7, Windows 95, Mac Cheetah and my daily driver Cinnamon of my own design. Mind you I have not given Cinnamon the "feel" of Windows or Mac - I wouldn't really no how or even want to because I do not know what the feel of those OS are - I have not been on Windows for over 10 years and have no Mac experience.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

it seems Cinnamon runs pretty well old older systems as well
I agree. Mostly I install all 3 (used to be 4) Mints on different partitions. I have done this on a couple
dozen towers and laptops over time and I have not perceived a difference in performance because one is
touted to be heavier or lighter than the others. On older hardware if one is laggy, the others are laggy also.
On newer stuff they all run nicely so it just depends on the interface you like best.
Try them all
Linux Crux=Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam+libera ab tyrannis
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

MATE user here. I just prefer the way the interface looks and the way it arranges things.

As someone else suggested, try both desktop environments out and decide which one you prefer the look of. Xfce too, if you are so inclined.
Brian Potter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Brian Potter »

I've used both Cinnamon and Mate. Originally I chose Mate as i had read that it was lighter and faster on older hardware. However I am finding Cinnamon just as fast and this is on a 13 year old core duo pc with onboard intel graphics. Cinnamon runs really quick on it. Possibly even quicker than Mate but its not a huge difference.

As regards ease of use and productivity I think they are both excellent desktops. Try both and see which one suits you. Both are fairly similar to Windows in the layout etc. The only slight grumble I have is that I get some diagonal tearing in firefox whilst scrolling which I didnt have in Mate. There is an option to select compositors and window managers in mate which are not there in cinnamon i.e. marco + compton. But this may not effect you as screentearing is very much dependant on hardware. Its certainly not enough of an issue to make me switch back to Mate.

I'm now a Cinnamon convert.
Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop (a relic from 2007 still running with its original HDD!!!)
8GB DDR2 RAM @ 800Mhz, 160GB HDD, Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz
Linux Mint Mate 19.1
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

There sure as hell aren't any differerences re programming.

Return to “Newbie Questions”