Can I search for types of files with Nemo? (videos only, or audio only, etc.)?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Can I search for types of files with Nemo? (videos only, or audio only, etc.)?

Post by James_Smith »

In this case, I want to be able to search for only videos with the word "unity" in them. I don't want to see programs, photos, documents, etc. with the word unity in them. Only videos.

I've been using Linux too long to have to ask such a rookie question. I'm pretty sure I was able to do this using the XFCE desktop environment but I can't figure it out with Cinnamon/Nemo.

Thanks.
sudo apt-get --purge remove macOS
GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can I search for types of files with Nemo? (videos only, or audio only, etc.)?

Post by GS3 »

I don't know how to do it using only Nemo but I'll give you another idea while someone with better knowledge comes along.

From my position of ignorance I would use a command or script which would search for files with "unity" in their name and feed or pipe the output to another line or command which would search for ".mp4" and any other file type you wanted (.AVI, etc.) I think that would work although it is not within Nemo.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can I search for types of files with Nemo? (videos only, or audio only, etc.)?

Post by I2k4 »

If it doesn't have to be Nemo, the Catfish system search utility is in the Mint Cinnamon repository. Working on Mint 20 live USB test install. For a selected drive, the Sidebar will limit files to video (or other types) and the search box would find "unity". The path is displayed with results and right-click menu will open in file manager (Nemo) or software. Maybe helps.

(On Mint XFCE, Catfish is preinstalled and works as the search utility launched in Thunar.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).

Return to “Newbie Questions”