LM 20 & Cinnamon Battery Panel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
denverjim
Level 1
Level 1

LM 20 & Cinnamon Battery Panel

Post by denverjim »

Have a frustrating question. Running LM 20/Cinnamon on a 5 yo MCP 12,1 laptop. Turned on option to display battery percentages in panel. However, the percentages never reflect actual power levels. For example, when the battery is fully charged, the power % in panel shows 66%. Never gets higher than that. When power % in panel shows extreme low battery life, the battery still has a few more hours left before it's actually needing a charge. Same issue if I show time left instead of %s. A fully charged battery should last 5-6 hours but panel says only 3.5 hours is left.

Is there some type of configuration required to get the power %s to be somewhat correct?

Thanks.
Running LM 20 on a early-2015 Macbook Pro, while waiting for my Star LabTop Mk IV laptop to arrive

denverjim
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM 20 & Cinnamon Battery Panel

Post by denverjim »

Update to the problem. This is apparently a long-standing problem with MBPs. I've discovered that the power management applet is using the wrong parameter when calculating the remaining power percentages. It's supposed to use charge_now divided by charge_full. Instead it's using charge_full_design instead of charge_full. Doesn't appear to be an easy way to fix this. I've discovered running from terminal acpi -b gives the correct percentages.

Also found a app called fdpowermon that will install an icon in the system tray that uses acpi to display remaining power percentages. But alas, doesn't seem to be compatible with LM20 Cinnamon, as it's not freedesktop.org-compliant. Oh well.
Running LM 20 on a early-2015 Macbook Pro, while waiting for my Star LabTop Mk IV laptop to arrive

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM 20 & Cinnamon Battery Panel

Post by smurphos »

Out of interest what's the output of upower -d run in a terminal?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”