mint 19.3 on early 2008 max pro

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wct
Level 1
Level 1

mint 19.3 on early 2008 max pro

Post by wct »

I've installed mint 19.3 on my early 2008 mac pro and it seems to be running OK. But I've noticed two problems:

1. There seems to be no sleep option. I see suspend, and that hangs the machine up and it must be powered down. Is there a way to have it save power when sitting idle without turning it off?

2. I was in a 5-way zoom meeting and found that it was running incredibly slowly -- occasionally hanging up so that I had no control over anything. Is this normal? The machine has 8 cores and 26G memory, so I am surprised that it can't handle zoom any better.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. wct
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: mint 19.3 on early 2008 max pro

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can try suspend instead of hibernate.
Post output of command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
in code tags. Copy paste the command in terminal.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Welcome to the forum wct! Great that you succeeded in making your old Apple computer work! My computer is from 2009 and is still humming along as well :D
wct wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:06 pm
Is there a way to have it save power when sitting idle without turning it off?
My girlfriend's computer cant hibernate or suspend either, but she only uses the computer for short times. All I can think of quickly is logging out, when you dont want to use it for a while and quickly log back in. This is just a wild guess, but I guess when you are logged out, the computer uses as little as processes as possible...

What is more easily possible, is automatically lowering the brightness of the screen after a certain idle time. That idle time can be set in the power management settings and it will save you some energy usage. There are several setings for dimming and shutting off the screen. Suspending the screen is possible as well, but might not work in your case. You can test these options in the power management settings and the screensaver settings. How to quickly log in and out can be setup as well in the System Settings.

wct wrote:
I was in a 5-way zoom meeting and found that it was running incredibly slowly -- occasionally hanging up so that I had no control over anything. Is this normal? The machine has 8 cores and 26G memory, so I am surprised that it can't handle zoom any better.
About this problem I have no hands on expertise, it does happen though and I have seen it mentioned on the forum as well, quite a few times. It happens to me when I have 5 different youtube channels playing simultaneously, sort of similar perhaps to a zoom conference with multiple screens. Showing your hardware specs with the terminal command (inxi -Fxz) as Deepakdeshp already suggested above is handiest in trying to solve that video freeze problem. If you are unfamiliar with the terminal you can also copy the contents of Menu / Administration / System Reports.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

wct wrote:
I've installed mint 19.3 on my early 2008 mac pro and it seems to be running OK. But I've noticed two problems:

1. There seems to be no sleep option. I see suspend, and that hangs the machine up and it must be powered down. Is there a way to have it save power when sitting idle without turning it off?
Hi & welcome. I have a 2009 imac that I been playing around with for some now time and it has a similar problem w/both Suspend or Hibernate modes. It will Suspend or Hibernate just fine but comes out that state with only a black screen which I've been unable to find a way around and the only option is to reboot. I've experimented Mate & Cinnamon (19.2 & 19.3) from live boot usbs, live boot usbs w/persistence, ext. usb drives w/Linux installed, and they've all done the same thing. I've also done a lot web searches on this and apparently this is not an uncommon problem on many mac's and appears to be related to certain types of graphic hardware/driver setups. For now I've backed off on looking for a solution as it only takes the thing about 75-90 seconds to boot from a usb ext. drive (usb2!) so it's not that bad of a wait. I'm sorry I can't offer a solution but at least now you know you're not alone. If I run across something I'll post it! Good luck!
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

That inxi report will show what kernel you are using.

My thoughts are that a kernel from an earlier but still supported series might solve the suspend & hibernate issues.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Return to “Newbie Questions”