Single User Logged in Forgot Password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
at1597
Level 1
Level 1

Single User Logged in Forgot Password

Post by at1597 »

I have recently installed a linux system for the first time. It is LinuxMint 19.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. This is silly but I forgot the password to my user. Good news is I'm logged in automatically.

Ive read on this forum that you can recover/reset the password from the grub menu by rebooting and holding down the shift key. This does not work for me. I am still just automatically logged in. Is there another way to access the grub menu? How can I recovery/reset my password?
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Single User Logged in Forgot Password

Post by DoodMann »

Automatic right? then go to security or users, then there should be a automatic login stuff there, at the password, copy that to a new text file!
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

DoodMann wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:43 am
Automatic right? then go to security or users, then there should be a automatic login stuff there, at the password, copy that to a new text file!
Trouble is, he'll need the password to open login or users in the System Settings
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
at1597
Level 1
Level 1

Post by at1597 »

Firstly, thank you for responding to this post! I appreciate the help.

Yes, LanceM, this is exactly the problem I am having. It is asking for my password no matter what I do.

I believe the best I can do is wipe my computer and start all over... Ive just been practicing so there is nothing super important which would be lost on my computer.
I am following these instructions below to do so:
1. Open the terminal
2. Find the hard drive by typing this command: fdisk -l
3. Assuming that the drive is labeled "SDA", type the following command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

Im using an empty 32 gb usb drive but after using the command, fdisk -l, I get the following error:

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: Permission denied

Is this because I have not provided my password?
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

There is this route to try: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... sword.html
If you are going to reinstall, just boot to a live session and format the drive with Disks. Alternatively, you can launch the installer, and choose erase disk and install Mint.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

LanceM wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:59 am
DoodMann wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:43 am
Trouble is, he'll need the password to open login or users in the System Settings
Ohh, sorry as I am still a newb.
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"

Return to “Newbie Questions”