help with torrents

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wiab4355
Level 2
Level 2

help with torrents

Post by wiab4355 »

Neither Transmission or Deluge work - that's it really!

OK more info, but I don't really know what to say. The torrent file opens with the program but then nothing happens. I assume that's all one has to do; if there are settings that need to be changed, I'm afraid I don't have skills for that so any help would be appreciated.

Ian
Ian, an AFC Wimbledon fan (come on, you Dons)
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Re: help with torrents

Post by optimize me »

First thing's first - Many ISPs these days throttle or outright deny traffic on the standard bittorrent ports, 6881-6889. You need to (should) change your default ports. I use 63681-63689, just as an example.

After that, you'll want to clear those ports in your firewall so that they're accessible from the outside.

Thirdly, you'll have to check the settings in your router to make sure that those ports are cleared there as well, and do any forwarding necessary to have traffic on those ports forwarded to the computer that is using them.

If you need step-by-step instructions, I'd recommend the online support sites for whichever torrent client you're using (Deluge has good support; I never used Transmission, so I don't know...), and the support sites for your router.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

Return to “Newbie Questions”