Bootable flash on MacOS - Not readable?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Breogan
Level 1
Level 1

Bootable flash on MacOS - Not readable?

Post by Breogan »

Hello all,

I'm in the process of doing my first ever desktop build and just discovered Linux Mint. I'm convinced this is the OS I want to run.

My only other computer is a Macbook with macOS Catalina. Anyway, I downloaded LM Cinnamon 64bit, downloaded Etcher, went through the mounting process. Per Etecher, the process was completed successfully but right after it was done, my Macbook gave me a "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" message. Wonder if I should've formatted the flash beforehand or something?

Should I be worried now about trying to use this as a good bootable flash for my new desktop build?
Would a simple check on the boot option of the BIOS of my new build be all I need to confirm if the flash is good or not?

thank you!
Pulegium
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Bootable flash on MacOS - Not readable?

Post by Pulegium »

Your MacBook won't recognize the Mint installer because of security measures that were added to MacOS in 2018 . These can be turned off but if you have no desire to install to your MacBook it might not be worth your time . The installer is probably fine . It's probably a good idea to check in the BIOS and see if needs to be set to boot from the Flash drive . If the Flash drive wasn't formatted properly at worst it just won't boot .

Return to “Newbie Questions”