How to Add A New Internal Hard Drive to Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

How to Add A New Internal Hard Drive to Mint?

Post by abrogard »

I have a mint system with two drives currently. The first is the system drive. The second is a sick unmountable drive I want to copy.

So I have this new Seagate 2T drive I want to attach to the system so's I can copy the sick one.

How to do that?

I tried simply hooking up the SATA cables and then switching on the computer but when it came up it didn't see the new drive.

It would be just as Seagate sends them from the factory - I suppose that means unpartitioned, unformatted.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to Add A New Internal Hard Drive to Mint?

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

abrogard wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:59 am
I suppose that means unpartitioned, unformatted.
You suppose correctly. Create a new partition table, and add your partition(s) using the Disks program or gparted.
[*] All kadaitcha men are liars
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

I used gparted, I think. It comes up with a 'list box' thing and the details of the first drive? And then you can select the next fom the list box? Well it only came up with two drives. It didn't see the third one, the new one.

Are you saying that creating this 'partition table' enables it to see a new drive?

unfortunately I'm not with that machine now, won't be there until tomorrow....
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

I'm no linux guru. However, when you boot up the machine, go into your bios. You should see how to do this as the machine boots up. It could be the F2, F10 or Del key or something else etc...

Firstly, find the list of the hard drives and see if your pc's bios sees the new drive.

This may help you with other steps to take to get Linux to recognise it.
AndyMH
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AndyMH »

You need to use gparted to:
  • create a partition table, msdos or gpt doesn't really matter.
  • create partition(s). If just linux then format ext4, if sharing with win then ntfs. Add a label when you create the partition(s).
A partition table on it's own does not make the drive visible, it is only when you add a partition that the partition become visible to your file manager.

If you create a new ext4 partition with gparted, it will be owned by root - you won't be able to write to it. Open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /media/you/whatever_label_you_gave_it
This will change ownership of it and its contents to you.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 4 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 20.1, 2 x i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

I'll look in the BIOS when I go there today.

What is the normal procedure for adding a drive to MInt?
Are they usually immediately seen by the system?

I thought all partitions were going to be created by ddrescue.
apokrell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apokrell »

hello I sorry if not the correct place or topic to answer my problem .
I had 4 internal 2tb e/o on the sata ports , and cant get mounted at start up, i had tried with accessories/disc/edit automount option or some likethat and renamed the storages pls any step by step for a novice in linux , and will be very appreciates.if any more info is required plse let me know, and if you can direct me to support level as well .. any help will do,regards,wilfredo
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

I think maybe you should start a new thread. No one is going to see your post except people following my thread and it is pretty old now.. maybe no one.

Sorry I can't help you. I don't know enough. :)
Petermint
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Petermint »

abrogard, how did the suggestions work out?

I have added a mass of disks to hundreds of computers. Anything new is formatted, recognised in the BIOS, and is listed in the Disks program where you can reformat it or rename it or change the mount instructions.

DIsks without formatting or without working formatting can be OEM, bulk buys, or second hand (remanufactured). They should still appear in the BIOS and Disks.

If disks and Gparted cannot see them, it is something old like a new disk in a very old computer or the reverse. You get into problems with AHCI and other BIOS settings. You would have to post the disk details for the ones that work and the one that does not work, perhaps pictures of their labels, plus pictures of your BIOS settings.
abrogard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abrogard »

Hi... I really can't remember. My Mint box hasn't been used in a long time. I had some more recent hassles than that drive thing. A newer 'drive thing' as I vaguely remember.
Anyway I didn't have time to deal with it. It had to go on the back burner and that's where it still is.
If I can get to it this week I will and I'll let you know the current state. We are wanting to put up another Linux box. Just had a pc rejected by the kids as not good enough for their gaming so I'm planning to make it Linux, too. Mint again. I might as well stick with what I know even though I know it so imperfectly.
:)

Return to “Beginner Questions”