Questions on installing applications

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Moonraker
Level 3
Level 3

Questions on installing applications

Post by Moonraker »

I just upgraded to Mint 20/Cinnamon and I'm wondering how I can tell if something is installable/compatible or not.

For example, I'd like to install a dock called DockBarX (https://github.com/M7S/dockbarx)

Can I install that on Mint with the Cinnamon desktop? If not, what would I look for that would tell me it's not going to work?

Other apps indicate they need Plasma installed; is that something I can install on Mint 20?

Sorry for these vague questions. :(
The future isn't what it used to be.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Questions on installing applications

Post by carum carvi »

Quote from Github;
The main DockbarX ppa is not maintained for the moment. You can use Xu Zhen's unofficial DockbarX ppa instead.
Sorry that I dont adress your question, that's because I want to warn you about using PPA´s. It's safer to first try and search the official LinuxMint ¨Software Manager" for programs that you want. Lots are on offer and they all will work. If nothing you desire is available in the "Software Manager" you could have a look inside the "Synaptic Package Manager", which offers more software. If that doesnt work you could look for officially supported software packaged as deb files. For example if you wanted to install Google Chrome you could install that as a deb file at the Google website.

If you cant find a officiallly supported deb file, you could search for a PPA version of the program you want. But here is the snatch. PPA´s are created and maintained by individuals. You have to TRUST these individuals to have access to your computer. In your case, installing a PPA, just for the sake of having a different panel, seems highly risky to me and not worth the trouble at all. Again apologies for not replying to your specific question, but there must be lots of officially supported alternative panels available...
Last edited by carum carvi on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Moonraker wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:45 pm
Can I install that on Mint with the Cinnamon desktop? If not, what would I look for that would tell me it's not going to work?
Usually, people read the README.MD file on github. The one you linked to says "Install in Ubuntu from ppa...". Since Mint 20 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 it stands to reason that if the ppa supports Ubuntu 20.04 then it will work on LM 20, however the package in that ppa is marked as beta. This was determined by searching the PPA name in a search engine and taking a look at it.
MoonrakerOther wrote:Other apps indicate they need Plasma installed; is that something I can install on Mint 20?
I have never seen a single application require a full blown Plasma installation. If you think you've found one, better you should post the link.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Moonraker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Moonraker »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 am
I have never seen a single application require a full blown Plasma installation. If you think you've found one, better you should post the link.
Several of the docks I've looked at mention that they're built for Plasma, I'm guessing that means I'd need to install Plasma?

Here are a couple of the mentions of Plasma in the apps I was looking through:

"KSmoothDock is a functional open source macOS-inspired desktop panel designed for KDE Plasma..."

"Latte Dock is an open source dock app developed for KDE Plasma. It was designed using plasma frameworks...To install Latte Dock, you must have KDE Plasma installed."

If I wanted to install these, would I install Plasma first?

Also, it looks like Plasma is for the KDE desktop...if that's correct then would I need to switch to or install the KDE desktop in order to use anything that requires Plasma?

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Moonraker wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:20 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 am
I'm guessing that means I'd need to install Plasma?
No. The application will simply pull in the libraries it needs. Qt applications run fine on GTK DE's and vice versa. You might like to take a look at plank. Latte-dock is woeful, I recommend avoiding it.

Moonraker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Moonraker »

Thank you for explaining that, Kadaitcha; there's so much I don't know that often I'm not even sure what questions to ask. :(

Okay...so if I wanted to install DockBarX, the regular, run-of-the-mill install would (should) figure out what it needs and grab whatever it needs. Since it says it's for the KDE desktop, does that mean it would switch my desktop to KDE?

Plank is what I'm using it right now; it works but I'd love something that was a little more configurable. I may give DockBarX a try and see what happens.
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:23 am
No. The application will simply pull in the libraries it needs. Qt applications run fine on GTK DE's and vice versa. You might like to take a look at plank. Latte-dock is woeful, I recommend avoiding it.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Moonraker wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:34 am
Thank you for explaining that, Kadaitcha; there's so much I don't know that often I'm not even sure what questions to ask. :(

Okay...so if I wanted to install DockBarX, the regular, run-of-the-mill install would (should) figure out what it needs and grab whatever it needs. Since it says it's for the KDE desktop, does that mean it would switch my desktop to KDE?
I already answered a very similar question above and the answer was no. You should be ok to install it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”