Will Mint 20 work with an older kernel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Will Mint 20 work with an older kernel?

Post by darkstrike »

My Media Center PC (Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3Ghz, 6GB RAM, Radeon HD3850 1GB Video card) currently runs kernel 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64.

The reason I have not upgraded it to a newer kernel is that it is hooked up to my TV for sound/video via HDMI. On ANY more recent kernel (whether it was a 4-series of 5-series), the video still works but sound stops working and I could never find a way to get sound back on any newer kernel. The second I go back to 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64...sound instantly works again without me having to do anything.

If I keep the current 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64 installed and do the upgrade path for 19.3 -> 20, would Mint 20 work on the older kernel still so I would still have sound?

Return to “Newbie Questions”