Cannot turn off laptop (Solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Cannot turn off laptop (Solved)

Post by BoDill »

I have created a problem; I don’t know how it happened, and I cannot solve it. When I turn off my laptop, it seems like it is going to turn off, but then the screen fills up with the normal background, except that it is covered with a grid of tiny dots, and there is a “PASSWORD” box on the left side of the screen. If I enter my password, the screen opens up in the normal way. When I try again to turn off the computer, the cycle starts again. At this point, I cannot turn off the computer at all. It just keeps cycling. Can you help me?

Bo Dillingham
Last edited by BoDill on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: OptiPlex-990 ; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
sleeper12
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Cannot turn off laptop

Post by sleeper12 »

Unplug everything, remove the battery, hold the power button down for 20 seconds, reconnect & try again.
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To Sleeper12,
Thank you very much. Your solution worked on the first try, and nothing was lost!!
Bo Dill
Desktop: OptiPlex-990 ; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
sleeper12
Level 11
Level 11

Post by sleeper12 »

I'm glad that worked for you. :) If you mark this as solved it might help others. Go to your first post here, click the Edit (pencil) button on right & add 'Solved' to the Subject line.

Return to “Newbie Questions”