Timeshift mounting a duplicate drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Timeshift mounting a duplicate drive

Post by hpmc13 »

After I have LM20 running for a little while, timeshift mounts a duplicate of the drive to which it saves its snapshots. It does not appear in Nemo, but it does show in System Monitor, as well as in conky. Is there any way to suppress this?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
sysmon.png
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Timeshift mounting a duplicate drive

Post by SMG »

It seems to be the way Timeshift works. This link indicates it is a temporary mount point that disappears after reboot. It is a way of treating all partitions alike regardless of if they are mounted.

I haven't yet rebooted to verify it disappears, but I see the same "duplication" you do. I do not have any problems unmounting the drive when the snapshot is completed (I only do ad-hoc snapshots). The "duplicate" remains in System Monitor even though the drive is removed both from my Desktop and from nemo.

Is there a particular reason you need to "suppress" it?

EDITED to add: The temporary mount point did disappear after a reboot. It returned when I opened Timeshift.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Timeshift mounting a duplicate drive

Post by hpmc13 »

Completely forgot about this post. Thank you very much for the reply and research.

I am seeing the same behavior; gone on reboot, appears at some point throughout the day.

There's no particular reason that I want to suppress it other than it is not an accessible drive. I don't believe that it throws off the total space, free space, used space columns in my Conky setup, so it's not a pressing issue, just an annoyance.

Thanks again for your help.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”