Linux mint install on macbook pro 2012

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dkoo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint install on macbook pro 2012

Post by dkoo »

i have been trying to resurrect an offspring's macbook pro that had been acting up. Said offspring managed to wipe much of the harddrive including the backup partition. i decided to install the hard drive from my ancient Toshiba that has been running Mint for a few years. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it boots up (after a white screen pause) to Mint 19.1 (I think I am running cinnamon), just had to update drivers and it seems to run properly.

I am wondering if there is any problem running Linux mint in this fashion? Will Linux Mint automatically detect hardware changes and install the relevant drivers? Is there a way of reducing the white screen pause before Mint starts booting up?

Thank you in advance.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux mint install on macbook pro 2012

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hi. I'm relatively new to the Mac/Linux world but it sounds like to me that your MacBook is doing what it's supposed to do, it recognizes the old Toshiba drive as the boot drive and boots to it, what more could you ask for there? As for the white screen at boot up I think that might be fairly typical for Mac's, at least for older ones. Mine is a 2009 iMac and it does the same thing but it usually only takes about 75 to 90 seconds, sometimes a little longer, to boot so it's not so bad. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you hardware & drivers, etc. I'd suggest just trying things link wifi, printers, cd's, etc., see what happens and then go from there. Good luck!
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux mint install on macbook pro 2012

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Dkoo, if you haven't already, you might want to check out this mac forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/categories/desktops.125/
I've gotten some decent mac advice there.

Return to “Newbie Questions”