[ABANDONED] backintime permission error

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
afora
Level 4
Level 4

[ABANDONED] backintime permission error

Post by afora »

I am trying backintime for incremental backup. And although most files are being backed up alright, backintime does not seem to copy root owned files if the application is run in a user space. I get the following error (when scheduled backintime runs are run by cron):

Code: Select all

Back in Time: Main Profile
Error:rsync:  send_files failed to open /home/user/file: Permission denied (13)
The /home/user/file has permissions set to "-r--------"

Here's the cron entry:

0 * * * * /usr/bin/nice -n 19 /usr/bin/ionice -c2 -n7 /usr/bin/backintime backup-job >/dev/null

What's the best solution to this as I suspect the cron entry will be overwritten even if I edited it manually?

Linux Mint: 19.3
Backintime: 1.1.12
Last edited by afora on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
afora
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] backintime permission error

Post by afora »

Backintime can be run as both user and root. When you type the name in the Linux search box (by pressing Windows key) just select the one which says (root).
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

afora wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:00 am
Backintime can be run as both user and root. When you type the name in the Linux search box (by pressing Windows key) just select the one which says (root).
Your problem is far from solved.

Code: Select all

Back in Time: Main Profile
Error:rsync:  send_files failed to open /home/user/file: Permission denied (13)
There would only be root owned files in /home/$USER if you've been messing around with things as root. Doing that is liable to make your entire system unusable. You would be best advised to do your playing around with root permissions over user files in a virtual machine where it makes no difference if you break everything, which you will do in your main system, and then you'll be posting asking for help with that too.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
afora
Level 4
Level 4

Post by afora »

I have just a few files with restricted permissions including for credentials used by services. For instance I have the samba credentials file owned by root and moded to -r------- under /home/user/apps/linux/samba/ where apps/ in /home/user/ is a directory mounted from a different partition. Then I symlink the actual /etc/samba folder to that directory.

You may ask why - well, I can make any changes to the config/credentials files any time I want and still wipe out and reimage the O/S partition at whim without needing to reconfigure anything back. It's a system/data separation approach in action which worked as magic over the years, with full automation and no interaction required from me.

I'm still keen to hear if I'm doing anything wrong from the security / O/S perspective if you think this may be inviting trouble.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Re: backintime permission error

Post by AndyMH »

Why are you running backintime under cron? You can automate the snapshot within backintime.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
afora
Level 4
Level 4

Re: backintime permission error

Post by afora »

I think this is how backintime schedules itself - I did not add anything to cron myself. Hence was my question.

Return to “Newbie Questions”