My iMac can default boot to external usb drive?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DaleRaynor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DaleRaynor »

Hi. I've been booting an iMac to an external usb drive w/Linux for a while now. Just recently I've noticed that the iMac can get in a mode where it will boot directly to the ext. usb drive without having to press the "Option" key at start up! Just leaving the usb cable attached at start up causes the iMac to bypass the macos and boot directly to the external drive! I don't recall it doing this before. Also, Strartup Disk utility never shows the external drive as an option.

Is this normal or am I looking at a potential problem ? Thanks.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: My iMac can default boot to external usb drive?

Post by Pierre »

it's probably not normal, and you could risk the Integrity of the drive, as well.

like the Windows System, it's wise to have any external HDDs off-line, when Booting the machine,
and only power them up, after the machine has an working desktop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jamiemint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jamiemint »

This is not likely to be a problem. The mac stores its preference for startup disk in parameter RAM or NVRAM. You can reset these by restarting and pressing command-option-P-R as described here. I've seen the startup disk preference get messed up during a crash.

Jamie
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hey DaleR! Couldn't you have at least changed a word or two from my post 7/13: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=324858 ?
Well, I guess no real harm done, at least your post got a response! Thank for that! :P

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:42 pm
Hi. I've been booting an iMac to an external usb drive w/Linux for a while now. Just recently I've noticed that the iMac can get in a mode where it will boot directly to the ext. usb drive without having to press the "Option" key at start up! Just leaving the usb cable attached at start up causes the iMac to bypass the macos and boot directly to the external drive! I don't recall it doing this before. Also, Strartup Disk utility never shows the external drive as an option.

Is this normal or am I looking at a potential problem ? Thanks.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

jamiemint wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:45 pm
This is not likely to be a problem. The mac stores its preference for startup disk in parameter RAM or NVRAM. You can reset these by restarting and pressing command-option-P-R as described here. I've seen the startup disk preference get messed up during a crash.

Jamie
On behalf of DaleRaynor and myself I'd like to thank you both for responding to our post! :lol: Actually I did try the nvram reset once and it didn't work but I think I may not have waited for the second start up sound as suggested in the link, so will have to try again. Thanks again!

Return to “Newbie Questions”