Using Mint on Intel Atom processor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Nbl12
Level 1
Level 1

Using Mint on Intel Atom processor

Post by Nbl12 »

Hello gurus.
I need some help here. I recently bought a new laptop running on 32-bit Windows 7 and having this specs:
Intel Atom N270; 1.60 GHz; 2GB RAM; Graphics card: Intel GMA 950.
I will like to be running Linux Mint together with the Windows from a USB stick. Actually, I want to get Mint so I can run Blender - a 3D modeling software independent of Windows.
My question now is: Which version of Mint will be most suitable for this computer, and is what I am trying to do feasible at all. Can I also run a 64-bit Linux distro on this computer?
Please your advise will be well welcomed.

And if you have any link to where I can learn how Linux work properly and how to find my way around it as a newbie, please share.

Thank you.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Using Mint on Intel Atom processor

Post by hydrurga »

Others may have differing opinions but in my opinion those are very underwhelming specs for a laptop. I used to have a Samsung N140 with similar specs quite a number of years ago and it was rather sluggish running demanding applications such as browser and image/video processing software. Blender in particular has quite demanding requirements (https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/) which your machine won't meet.

As far as I remember, the N270 is purely a 32-bit processor, so you won't be able to run 64-bit applications on it, or install Mint 20 which has dropped 32-bit support.

If you are going to run Linux on your machine, I recommend a very light Xfce-based distro flavour which supports 32-bit. If you want to use Blender I suggest you somehow find another machine with much better specs. I am sorry to say all this given that you've just bought your new laptop. As a system with which to learn Linux, your laptop will be fine. Just don't expect it to do anything demanding.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Install Bodhi Linux (32-bit):
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/bodhi.html

Download the 32-bit legacy release here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bodhil ... o/download
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Nbl12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nbl12 »

hydrurga wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:27 am
Others may have differing opinions but in my opinion those are very underwhelming specs for a laptop. I used to have a Samsung N140 with similar specs quite a number of years ago and it was rather sluggish running demanding applications such as browser and image/video processing software. Blender in particular has quite demanding requirements (https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/) which your machine won't meet.

As far as I remember, the N270 is purely a 32-bit processor, so you won't be able to run 64-bit applications on it, or install Mint 20 which has dropped 32-bit support.

If you are going to run Linux on your machine, I recommend a very light Xfce-based distro flavour which supports 32-bit. If you want to use Blender I suggest you somehow find another machine with much better specs. I am sorry to say all this given that you've just bought your new laptop. As a system with which to learn Linux, your laptop will be fine. Just don't expect it to do anything demanding.
Hi, Hydrurga. Big thanks for replying. I am actually starting out with Blender and I will be teaching myself, so I not really aiming for the latest release. I only want to load Blender to practice with it but don't want to add the load to Windows. I really hope Linux Mint works, I am going to give it a try. Please, can you recommend a 32-bit Linux Mint version that you think will work?
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

Nbl12 wrote: Please, can you recommend a 32-bit Linux Mint version that you think will work?
The "lightest" supported LM version would be LM 18.3 Xfce (supported until April 2021).

That said, I too have doubts that Blender will be of useful on that laptop, but you can always try.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

We may have identical netbooks - mine is a Dell Inspiron Mini10 with the exact specs as yours. I currently use it to run our home security system with Windows 7 32bit, but it used to run Linux Mint all the way back to 2009 (mine came with Ubuntu preinstalled). I can tell you that the current LM19.3, which is the last supported 32 bit Mint, does not run all that well even in Xfce. Although it does work, I'd take the advice given and instead use the legacy 32bit Bhodi LInux. I used this Distro on the netbook and it worked fast and smooth. Also highly recommend an SSD if you haven't gotten one already. Although changing out the hard drive on this thing made me hate Dell - a lot. What a PITA. Good luck.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

Mint MATE 18.x has been running reliably on the small Acer netbook for almost 4 years.
However, if you also have the ridiculous 1024 x 600 monitor on your device, I am rather skeptical about using blender.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Exe Gnu/Linux in this computer.

Code: Select all

Desktop: N/A Distro: Devuan GNU/Linux ascii
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Acer product: AOHAPPY v: V3.13
(DDR3)
           Mobo: Acer model: JE02_PT v: V3.13(DDR3)
           BIOS: Acer v: V3.13(DDR3) date: 12/23/2010
Battery    BAT0: charge: 37.8 Wh 88.0% condition: 42.9/44.0 Wh (
97%)

model: SANYO AL10A31 status: Discharging
CPU:       Dual core Intel Atom N550 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 512 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 5985
           clock speeds: max: 1500 MHz 1: 1000 MHz
           2: 1500 MHz 3: 1000 MHz 4: 1000 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integr
ated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: N/A drivers: intel (unloaded: modeset
ting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 64x19
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Con
troller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: ALSA v: k4.9.0-12-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet
           driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 5000
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adap                                   ter (PCI-Express)
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (15.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54322 size: 250.1GB

ID-1: / size: 27G used: 6.2G (24%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev                                   /sda3
           ID-2: /home size: 93G used: 27G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /                                   dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 3.51GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap                                    dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configure                                   d?
Info:      Processes: 169 Uptime: 29 min Memory: 619.4/1993.6MB
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.5
Nbl12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nbl12 »

Big thanks to everyone who has replied. I am grateful.
So, I will create the bootable disk tonight and start with LM 18.3, then if that doesn't work, I'll use Bodhi.
All the same, I will come back here to share my experience.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

Nbl12 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Big thanks to everyone who has replied. I am grateful.
So, I will create the bootable disk tonight and start with LM 18.3, then if that doesn't work, I'll use Bodhi.
All the same, I will come back here to share my experience.
Thanks. I for one look forward to hearing how you get on.
HappyHippo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HappyHippo »

I have had the best experience with Peppermint on such device.
HappyHippo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HappyHippo »

I have had the best experience with Peppermint on such device.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

My first Linux install was an Asus Eee PC with an n270 and 1024x600 screen.

I managed to install Ubuntu hardy heron on it which was a minor improvement over windows XP. Later I put in a 128gb ssd which made it fly. I upgraded it a few times until lucid lynx before moving to Mint.

Got an HP with an AMD neo MV -40 which was an order of magnitude faster.
MarkTheMorose
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarkTheMorose »

antiX (pronounced antics) will work well on such a netbook, I have it running here on a Samsung N130 (I think). Just 1GB of RAM, and 32-bit only, but it works surprisingly well.

You mention wanting to use Blender, you'd probably want to try connecting an external monitor so you can see what you're doing! I haven't tested that function with antiX, though I'm sure it will cope.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

For future reference if anyone wants to find out whether their Intel Atom processor can support 32-bit or 64-bit instructions, type in the full model of the processor into your favourite search engine and click the ark.intel.com result near the top of the list that comes up for it. Then click on 'Advanced Technologies'. It will either say Yes or No for Intel 64. The supported instruction set is then given on the next line down, which for the Intel Atom N270 is 32-bit only.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

The big weakness of Atoms was not their lack of 64 bit. It was their lack of ability to perform out of order instructions. That made them slower than a vintage Athlon XP running on a VIA k266 chipset.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I can't even comprehend running Blender on that hardware....and I'm not terribly fussy.
Nbl12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nbl12 »

It's been a while here. First, big thank you to everyone who responded. Right now, my problem is kinda solved.

So, I visited the website of the distros suggested (from Bodhi to Peppermint to AntiX, etc.) and in my case something was off, either the large .iso file or the other system requirements. I even installed Bodhi Linux but unfortunately it won't work, I get this black screen that displays
Busybox.. Enter 'help' for a list of commands... (initramfs)
which is annoying anyway, and since I couldn't do anything with it, I tried another distro and that would be Puppy Linux.

For now, I am on Puppy Linux and it's on this distro that I am typing this reply right now. It's fast and lightweight and is not giving me problems right now. The best part actually is that it runs Blender 8) :). I tried downloading Blender 2.75 and since I have downloaded it, it has been running well. I pray it continues that way though!

In the end right now, Puppy Linux is doing its work, the only problem now is installation of other programs, for example, I can't seem to install WINE yet and some other programs that I have tried also won't install. I hope to get around that SOON!

Big thanks to y'all once again!
freshminted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by freshminted »

I have an old emachines em250 netbook with N270 atom and 2GB ram, which I use when travelling. Bought it in 2010. Been around the world a couple of times, but it's just sat on the shelf for the past six months. Originally XP, it runs LM19.3 Cinnamon now. A bit slow, but it is fine for email and a few tabs open in Firefox etc. for checking hotels, train tickets, places to see... Nothing too intensive. Wine is installed and works too. I don't expect much from it, but it does what I want very well. And I don't like typing on a tablet. If the world ever gets back to normal, I'll probably get a 11" something and run linux on that.

Return to “Newbie Questions”