Time clock problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Azarado
Level 1
Level 1

Time clock problems

Post by Azarado »

The time clock on my XP Pro (or maybe even the PC itself) continues to jump ahead 4 or 5 hours, at least once a week. Yesterday was like the 8th time I re-set it. I have gone through every possible configuration, from 'time.windows' to 'time.nist', and I replaced the CMOS battery. Been asking around on other forums, and someone claims that using Linux in LiveCD mode messes up the time clock. Usually I would consider this anti-Linux blather, but it happens I do use LiveCD for at least an hour every couple days (online shopping/banking). I also notice that when I use it, the time clock is always at least three hours fast.

Anyway, the question would be is it likely that using Linux Mint in LiveCD mode on a fairly regular basis is causing the time clock problems? If so, any solutions other than the obvious (stop using LiveCD or install)?
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Time clock problems

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Azarado wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:06 pm
If so, any solutions other than the obvious (stop using LiveCD or install)?
What about the obvious stop using Windows? :mrgreen:

What's happening is that Linux interprets the hardware clock as being UTC (Zulu) but Windows interprets it as local time. Under normal booting circumstances, you could fix this in either Windows or Linux but you are booting from a live media so you're going to have to make Windows toe the line.

viewtopic.php?p=1829111#p1829111

Two posts lower down is the method you can use to change how the hardware clock is interpreted in Linux.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Kseanfitz_1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kseanfitz_1 »

I see you state you use a "liveCD"...
If you used a live from USB with persistence I am of the belief the fix given (good job Kadaitcha Man) may work. Also a persistent usb would give you a better experience short of an actual install for dual boot.

PS: I am a bit confused why Linux as other OS's do, asks for localization information during install and yet code's to a default zero, aka, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), “Zulu” Military Time. Could be the root or co-cause of a number of problems some people could have.----> :?
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
"One, is glad to be of service."
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

As stated above live booting Linux w/cd or usb drive on a windows machine ( & I think or imac also) will cause this time shift. I experienced it on both my windows laptops. The solution is to either change the time if it really bugs you, ignore it or use a live boot w/persistence as suggested by kseanfiz.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

This is a recurring question and there are many threads explaining:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318723
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
Azarado
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Azarado »

Kseanfitz_1 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:15 am
If you used a live from USB with persistence I am of the belief the fix given (good job Kadaitcha Man) may work. Also a persistent usb would give you a better experience short of an actual install for dual boot.

PS: I am a bit confused why Linux as other OS's do, asks for localization information during install and yet code's to a default zero, aka, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), “Zulu” Military Time. Could be the root or co-cause of a number of problems some people could have.----> :?
Yeah, for me the whole point of using LiveCD mode is zero persistence. I'd consider that USB stuff much like installing TAILS, customizing it, adding FLASH, etc., which defeats the purpose of using TAILS. Not a perfect comparison, as I will have my computer tech install Linux on the SSD portion of my mobile rack when he comes for the next housecall, but even after that, I was planning on using LiveCD mode on occasion. Now I'm not so sure, if I have to fudge with the clock every time. Aside from no persistence, LiveCD mode was supposed to make no changes, or at least that was my understanding. If it can change the clock on my XP Pro, maybe other changes are being made. This opens up a can of paranoia!

The whole point of installing Linux Mint on an SSD (instead of duo-booting) is to keep it isolated from XP Pro on my primary HDD. Now I have to wonder if that will be enough.
Azarado
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Azarado »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:04 pm
Azarado wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:06 pm
If so, any solutions other than the obvious (stop using LiveCD or install)?
What about the obvious stop using Windows? :mrgreen:

What's happening is that Linux interprets the hardware clock as being UTC (Zulu) but Windows interprets it as local time. Under normal booting circumstances, you could fix this in either Windows or Linux but you are booting from a live media so you're going to have to make Windows toe the line.

viewtopic.php?p=1829111#p1829111

Two posts lower down is the method you can use to change how the hardware clock is interpreted in Linux.
I assume the method detailed is for when Linux is installed. I'll copy/paste it into the 'to-do list' for when the tech comes by to install it. Hopefully Linux Mint on the SSD and XP Pro on the HDD will be able to coexist without messing over the time clock. Thanks.
linux-rox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux-rox »

Azarado wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:39 pm
Hopefully Linux Mint on the SSD and XP Pro on the HDD will be able to coexist without messing over the time clock. Thanks.
Doesn't matter whence Linux boots. It's running Linux which resets the clock.

Was browsing the tutorials section earlier and noticed one for solving this problem by scheduling a clock sync at Windows boot. Link. Written for Win10, but maybe there's a way to do something similar in XP. Don't remember, as it's been a long time since I used.
Kseanfitz_1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kseanfitz_1 »

Azarado wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:25 pm
Kseanfitz_1 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:15 am

Yeah, for me the whole point of using LiveCD mode is zero persistence. I'd consider that USB stuff much like installing TAILS, customizing it, adding FLASH, etc., which defeats the purpose of using TAILS. Not a perfect comparison, as I will have my computer tech install Linux on the SSD portion of my mobile rack when he comes for the next housecall, but even after that, I was planning on using LiveCD mode on occasion. Now I'm not so sure, if I have to fudge with the clock every time. Aside from no persistence, LiveCD mode was supposed to make no changes, or at least that was my understanding. If it can change the clock on my XP Pro, maybe other changes are being made. This opens up a can of paranoia!

The whole point of installing Linux Mint on an SSD (instead of duo-booting) is to keep it isolated from XP Pro on my primary HDD. Now I have to wonder if that will be enough.
To the best of my knowledge anything that boots on your system is going to do a time coordination time check.
The "persistence" is on the USB drive, will allow you to fix the time synchronization to local, as it boots.
other wise what you do while booted to the usb is like the "vagas rule", "what happens in the usb stays in the usb.
So it is all the same to your system other wise weather it is a CD, USB, Mint, Tails. Unless you chose to make some change to your system while booted to anything.
even any MS OS can, to a very limited capacity, allow you to make changes to your system while booted to to the "installer" which is a very limited form of live session itself.
Your tech can explain all this to you in detail, face to face, likely for a cost for their time... so... whatever.
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
"One, is glad to be of service."

Return to “Newbie Questions”