Error message when updating

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jamesofyorkshire
Level 2
Level 2

Error message when updating

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

Hi.

Yesterday, when updating Mint on my laptop, my internet connection was interrupted. Today, when updating I got the following message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

I copied and pasted the "dpkg --configure -a" bit into a terminal ...............but I got the message "requested operation requires super-user privilege"

I am the Admin for this laptop. I don't know what a Super-user is. What do I try next please?

Any help appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-07-23 08-38-17.png
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Error message when updating

Post by antikythera »

stick the word sudo in front of that command and press enter. Put in your user password and press enter again.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
jamesofyorkshire
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Error message when updating

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

Thanks very much ANTIKYTHERA. That did the trick.

Return to “Newbie Questions”