Was Ulyana released before it was ready?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Was Ulyana released before it was ready?

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

mr_raider wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:03 am
KDE Neon 20.04 was a testing release for users on voluntary basis. The link was only available in the KDE forums. I know because installed more than a week ago. It came with a solid warning that it was not yet stable. Early upgraders were met with a few bugs.

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=166844
That's correct. The point is that the delay is not due to the neon maintainers waiting for the next point release, which is simply unmitigated FUD.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
linux-rox
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linux-rox »

Posted the basis for my comment above. Apparently you just like to contradict people. Whatever. :roll:

Back on topic, what really annoryed me about Ubuntu's initial release was that every flavor I tested except Lubuntu returned this error after installation:
Error restoring installed applications: An error occurred while restoring previously-installed applications. The installation will continue, but you may have to manually reinstall some applications after the computer reboots.
Really, ya'll released with this unresolved. Pretty lame.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

mr_raider wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:38 pm
Usually, ubuntu does not allow their LTS users to upgrade to the next LTS release until .1 point release is out. That's usually 4 months after the April release.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule

That should give you an indication of what they think of their own stability!
I am not sure exactly but I think it is not because it is unstable but rather that they have to test the actual upgrade, therefor the delay.

And back to the topic, Ulyana is just fine. I see no show stoppers.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

blackcarajillo wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:47 pm
I am not sure exactly but I think it is not because it is unstable but rather that they have to test the actual upgrade, therefor the delay.
No matter how many beta testers there are, or folks using the Focal Daily Build ISO's prior to release some relatively minor issues slip the net and come to light in the weeks and months after official release when a wider user base starts using the product. Those issues generally get mopped up within a month or two. So there is a little bit of instability in the mix aswell as wanting to test the upgrade path thoroughly.

I actually think Mint would do better by not offering it's upgrade path so soon - or releasing the upgrade path as a beta upgrade path, fixing it up to deal with the edge cases as they come in and then making it available for a wider audience.

But fundamentally I've not no concern re Mint 20 / Focal being fit for daily use. I've had to abandon one third party applet that I couldn't get to work (an abandoned by it's author screenshot applet, replaced by Flameshot), and also had to abandon searchmonkey as my preferred search tool due it segfaulting regularly. That was easily replaced with SpaceFm's search function. Other than that all the software that I want and use is fine.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

FWIW, fresh installs of the new LM20 XFCE are working very well as single or dual booting for my purposes, apart from some (surprise) incompatibilities with Ubuntu 20.04 for Cherrytree and XnViewMP, and (anticipated) problems with Chromium browser support:

- Cherrytree is temporarily solved scrolling down past the current release to "last testing version 0.99.6 / 801430e (July 19th, 2020)"

https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/#downl

- XnViewMP current version fails, but scrolling way down the .deb for the older version 0.943 works fine:

https://download.xnview.com/old_versions/?C=M;O=D

- After reviewing various Chromium threads here, I simply installed stable Google Chrome instead of Chromium, as being no nonsense to install and then supported in the Update Manager. (My use of Chrome/Chromium is limited to several Google services and some tech site log ins, keeping Firefox as default browser.)
Last edited by I2k4 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

smurphos wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:06 pm
I actually think Mint would do better by not offering it's upgrade path so soon - or releasing the upgrade path as a beta upgrade path, fixing it up to deal with the edge cases as they come in and then making it available for a wider audience.
I think I tend to agree with this, but it's probably a no win scenario for Clem and team. If Ubuntu upgrades go without a hitch there'll always be a crowd calling for LM to pick up the pace.

From what I can see (albeit still on 19.3 here) LM 20 seems to have been well received once successfully installed. What I suspect is that the upgrade process has been more problematic than usual, and there's been a bit of fire-fighting along the way. I sort of expect some reference to it in the next monthly news on the blog.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, some users think ALL of them are released too soon, which is why they don't install them when they're brand new. Just like those WIndows users who'd wait for the first service pack.

I've seem some clunkers. When I installed Kubuntu 13.10 (I thknk), if you plugged in a USB device eg, the icon would appear twice on the desktop. You could work around it but I did wonder how in hell they signed that release off. ANd I tried Fedora nce and the package manager was broke, which was more serious. I'll never install it again.

Never anything like this with Mint but I'm not surprised.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

smurphos wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:06 pm
But fundamentally I've not no concern re Mint 20 / Focal being fit for daily use.
I got a very nice surprise from Mint 20. I just installed it on my DD. I'm used to seeing lines of red in the output from dmesg, more often than not it's a USB or nVidia error. There's not a single red line to look at.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Good to know.
If the release is full of bugs I won't be in a big hurry to upgrade.
Maybe wait til 20.2 or 20.3.
v19.3 is working fine. :mrgreen:
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

Minux1 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 am
Good to know.
If the release is full of bugs I won't be in a big hurry to upgrade.
Maybe wait til 20.2 or 20.3.
v19.3 is working fine. :mrgreen:
It isn't. No harm in you waiting, of course.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 am
I got a very nice surprise from Mint 20. I just installed it on my DD. I'm used to seeing lines of red in the output from dmesg, more often than not it's a USB or nVidia error. There's not a single red line to look at.
LOL, - I've only got one and it's the same one as I had in 19.3. I've never had the motivation to look into it.

Code: Select all

iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: BIOS contains WGDS but no WRDS
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:55 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 am
LOL, - I've only got one and it's the same one as I had in 19.3. I've never had the motivation to look into it.

Code: Select all

iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: BIOS contains WGDS but no WRDS
hmmmm, good WiFi but no Words to read, huh? :mrgreen:
Last edited by AZgl1500 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Any LM20 update problems pale into insignificance when seen in relation to Windows 10 it seems.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Kester wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:32 pm
Any LM20 update problems pale into insignificance when seen in relation to Windows 10 it seems.
I have 2 SSD drives for this laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad X131e) ... one for Linux Mint and one for Windows 10 ... it takes 5 minutes to switch them ... both work fine ... best of both worlds :mrgreen:
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

I have 2 SSD drives for this laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad X131e) ... one for Linux Mint and one for Windows 10 ... it takes 5 minutes to switch them ... both work fine ... best of both worlds
You are one of the lucky ones! :D To be fair to Microsoft, and I suppose one ought to be, the ratio of Windows 10 users to Linux Mint 20 users is extremely high.

I was not as brave as you and run a dual boot arrangement of Windows 7 (disconnected from the internet) with Linux Mint 20 (connected to internet) and that arrangement, so far, has been working very well. I chose not to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for a number of different reasons. Linux Mint 20 on my dual boot system was a fresh install replacing Lubuntu 18.04. I have Linux Mint 20 on another desktop computer as a stand alone system - LM20 was an upgrade from within LM19.3. I'm pleased to say that system is giving no problems either.

So, from my point of view, Ulyana was not released too early. Both my LM20 versions are xfce - are the problems some are reporting associated with any particular desktop manager rather than another?
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Kester wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 am
I have 2 SSD drives for this laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad X131e) ... one for Linux Mint and one for Windows 10 ... it takes 5 minutes to switch them ... both work fine ... best of both worlds
You are one of the lucky ones! :D To be fair to Microsoft, and I suppose one ought to be, the ratio of Windows 10 users to Linux Mint 20 users is extremely high.

I was not as brave as you and run a dual boot arrangement of Windows 7 (disconnected from the internet) with Linux Mint 20 (connected to internet) and that arrangement, so far, has been working very well. I chose not to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for a number of different reasons. Linux Mint 20 on my dual boot system was a fresh install replacing Lubuntu 18.04. I have Linux Mint 20 on another desktop computer as a stand alone system - LM20 was an upgrade from within LM19.3. I'm pleased to say that system is giving no problems either.

So, from my point of view, Ulyana was not released too early. Both my LM20 versions are xfce - are the problems some are reporting associated with any particular desktop manager rather than another?
I don't know but I do know my Linux Mint drive will be hosting v19.3 for well into the future until v20 gets its ducks in a row. v19.3 still has plenty of service life left.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Minux1 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 am

I don't know but I do know my Linux Mint drive will be hosting v19.3 for well into the future until v20 gets its ducks in a row. v19.3 still has plenty of service life left.

you and me both.............

I have lost the enthusiasm to mess with ironing out odd problems and going through the process of tweaking it to my preferences.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

For some the tweaking is the main event ... the types that are always tuning old cars or motorcycles ... and I have no issues with that.
Most times I just want to switch on the computer and check email. surf the net, play my games without having to sort out glitches, have my screen turn blue in the middle of my solitaire game or the need to type volumes of cryptic code into a terminal screen to "coax" my wifi card to connect to the internet. v19.3 is doing that for me and I'll stick with it for the time being.

Return to “Newbie Questions”