Printer communication error in Mint Mate 20

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Printer communication error in Mint Mate 20

Post by David1293 »

Hi all

I have a Photosmart 7520 which has worked fine with all previous versions of Mint since 2012.

Now I get the above message. It's detecting that the printer is there, because it lists it and correctly identifies the make and model.

However, the HPLIP, via the gui can't communicate with it.

I've put this in the newbies section because I'm not very knowledgeable about using the command line.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks
D
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Printer communication error in Mint Mate 20

Post by Kester »

Hi David,

Despite your concerns about using the command line, you would be far better off posting your problem on the 'Hardware', 'Printers and Scanners' section of the forum. This is where the printer and scanner experts will be looking for posts from users like you who are experiencing similar problems after moving on to LM20.

You needn't be afraid of using the terminal - those helping you will explain what you have to type very clearly and, in fact, you will be able to copy and paste the exact text directly from their posts. If you do happen to mistype, you are unlikely to cause any serious problem as your command would normally be rejected.

One point to remember is the first command beginning with 'sudo' will cause the terminal to ask for your user password before the command can run as the command requires root privileges; thereafter 'sudo' commands will run straight away in that terminal session.

Bite the bullet David and you will get the help you need.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi

Many thanks for the reply!

Is there a way to move this post, or should I start a new one in hardware?

Regards
D
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi David,

Sorry for not replying sooner.

I don't know if there is a way to move your post - I guess forum administrators can do that but no idea of us mere mortals can. Anyway it would be quite easy to copy the text from your original post on this thread and paste it into a new post in the 'Printers & Scanners' section of 'Hardware Support'.

Return to “Newbie Questions”