How to disable Mouse Acceleration with GUI and without downloads?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yesiseenotreally

How to disable Mouse Acceleration with GUI and without downloads?

Post by yesiseenotreally »

I've looked everywhere I can't seem to find the option to disable Mouse Acceleration inside the settings. Almost certain I missed something because there's no possible way such a basic option would be missing. Tried the "Custom Acceleration" setting but that just massively messes with how your mouse moves, in that putting it to minimum makes it ultra slow for some reason, instead of just disabling it. I've seen some posts saying to change some files or download some program to do it but I really don't want to do that.

Am running latest 64 bit LM Cinnamon as of July 27th.

Sorry for such a short and basic question I just cannot stand mouse acceleration.
-Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yellowfinch
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to disable Mouse Acceleration with GUI and without downloads?

Post by yellowfinch »

yesiseenotreally wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:55 pm Tried the "Custom Acceleration" setting but that just massively messes with how your mouse moves, in that putting it to minimum makes it ultra slow for some reason, instead of just disabling it.
I normally leave that setting in the middle, but I’ve just tried it at the minimum and, while there is a very noticeable difference when performing a fast move, it is still very usable. In fact, it feels to me like it does amount to merely disabling the acceleration altogether.

Maybe your mouse isn’t compatible with the generic driver? Did you try another mouse? (Another possibility would be to use the custom driver for the particular model in question, but those usually don’t exist for Linux.)
yesiseenotreally

yellowfinch wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 am I normally leave that setting in the middle, but I’ve just tried it at the minimum and, while there is a very noticeable difference when performing a fast move, it is still very usable. In fact, it feels to me like it does amount to merely disabling the acceleration altogether.

Maybe your mouse isn’t compatible with the generic driver? Did you try another mouse? (Another possibility would be to use the custom driver for the particular model in question, but those usually don’t exist for Linux.)
Tried with a G502 and an EVGA mouse and there was no difference. I have a few other mice somewhere but I doubt they'll do any better. All the option does is either make the mouse move extremely fast on the highest setting, extremely slowly on the lowest setting, or both too fast and too slow in the middle. So just unusable sadly.
Sorry about the late reply I thought this post had been lost since there were no replies and haven't touched Linux since.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

I've seen some posts saying to change some files or download some program to do it but I really don't want to do that.
So maybe you want to buy a gaming mouse and change the settings with the mouse button?
yesiseenotreally

1000 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 am So maybe you want to buy a gaming mouse and change the settings with the mouse button?
How would that do anything? What? I'm not sure I follow your logic. Does LM have some sort of Gaming Mouse Integration that allows them to change settings within the OS? Doesn't sound likely, but apparently the Logitech G502 is a Gaming Mouse so i'm willing to give it a try so I can finally get to trying out LM. So how do I disable Mouse Acceleration with it?
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

I had mistake, acceleration it is not the same as resolution DPI (dots per inch - in this case, the distance the cursor moves),
where for this you have buttons on the side of the mouse.

My new definition of mouse acceleration
When you move the mouse the same distance, depending on the speed of the mouse, it increases or decreases the distance the cursor moves.
This is kind of a variable DPI.

For example:
When I slowly move the mouse 5cm to the right, the cursor will move 2cm.
But when I move the mouse 5cm to the right very quickly, the cursor will move 15cm.

On Linux Mate I have option "Acceleration profile" which should be set "Flat" instead of "Adaptive"
then I see "Sensitivity" option working.
But this acceleration still seems to exist to a very small degree. I'm not sure, because it's hard to measure.

I don't have Cinnamon, so I can not test.
But tried ISO on Virtualbox and I don't see this option ( "Flat" or "Adaptive") in Cinnamon.

I suggest you should talk with developers.
For example with Cinnamon developer what can you or he do.
Because for now I don't know how write script to simulate and measure the movement of the mouse cursor.
Because If can not measure it so I can not unequivocally state whether it is turned off
Also maybe someday someone will come up with an idea and make a graphic tool to create your own profile.
( Graph, mouse speed to cursor distance.
And maybe some time test before accepting the settings permanently or file .txt to edit from linux live ISO )
Because acceleration uniformly accelerated or flat is not enough.

I'll help you search a little
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... open+mouse

Return to “Beginner Questions”