Can't find what is taking up disk space

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Egonic
Level 1
Level 1

Can't find what is taking up disk space

Post by Egonic »

Hi,

For some reason my partition is showing as full when it shouldn't be full.

Not sure if it's relevant but I had some system problems today after I uninstalled the AMD gpu drivers, the desktop stopped working and I was only able to boot to console, and I found someone suggesting installing an xorg package which I did and it might have been what solved it. After that I made a Timeshift backup and computer started locking up and crashed from being out of disk space.

I have this partition of 262 GB, and I can't find out where all that disk space has disappeared to.
https://i.imgur.com/WEbuLRu.png

When using the Disk Usage Analyzer it only shows 93.5 GB:
https://i.imgur.com/ostjgYS.png

ncdu finds 125 GB:
https://i.imgur.com/C1sOPUy.png

Running 'df /dev/sda5' still shows that all disk space is taken.

Code: Select all

Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5      250931056 236599396   1515328 100% /

I would very much appreciate some help on how to troubleshoot this.
derrick1120
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can't find what is taking up disk space

Post by derrick1120 »

Check your Timeshift back ups. This is the usual offender. They take up a lot of space. Delete some of these, and thereafter consider saving back ups to an external HDD.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

It could also be that you backed-up also your personal files with Timeshift and those can take a lot of space.
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

In addition to old Timeshift snapshots, also remove any old unneeded kernels. You might gain some space with:

sudo apt autoremove 
Egonic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Egonic »

Thank you very much for the response!
blackcarajillo wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:45 pm
It could also be that you backed-up also your personal files with Timeshift and those can take a lot of space.
derrick1120 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:09 pm
Check your Timeshift back ups. This is the usual offender. They take up a lot of space. Delete some of these, and thereafter consider saving back ups to an external HDD.
I only have 2 Timeshift backups, I deleted some earlier ones (when my system went down) which didn't free up any disk space apparently, as I had to delete a personal folder of mine due to having 0 disk space left.

The Timeshift folder takes up 30 GB of space, however it's also showing as part of the 90 GB in the Disk Analyzer tool, so it's not clear to me that they are a problem, and I have excluded my home folder from them.

As for my backups, I do use an external HDD for backing up my personal files, using rsnapshot.
sleeper12 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:14 pm
In addition to old Timeshift snapshots, also remove any old unneeded kernels. You might gain some space with:

sudo apt autoremove 
It didn't remove anything, however I am missing something like 100 GB of disk space, that for some reason are showing in /dev/sda5, but not anywhere else, so I have trouble locating it, I even extended my partition recently, so this doesn't make sense to me.

On a side note, does Mint not reserve any disk space?
As someone coming from Windows I wouldn't have expected a situation where the OS stops functioning due to a lack of disk space, at least that's how I understood the write errors and the Desktop not launching.
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

Any old installed kernels you can remove?
This will show your installed kernels.

dpkg --list | grep linux-image 
You'll want to keep the current & previous ones, remove any others in Update Manager, View, Linux kernels.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Egonic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Egonic »

sleeper12 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:01 am
Any old installed kernels you can remove?
This will show your installed kernels.

dpkg --list | grep linux-image 
You'll want to keep the current & previous ones, remove any others in Update Manager, View, Linux kernels.
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:45 am
Clean safely, like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Thanks for the suggestions, it definitely helped me clean up some space.

For the bigger issue, I may have found the root cause, but I don't know how to fix it.
When I run rsnapshot it uses up a lot of space on my root disk, before I imagine copying it over, however if you interrupt rsnapshot that space does not seem to get freed. I am having trouble locating where this data is stored that it doesn't clean up.

Figured it out while writing this....
The short version is that my external disk was not mounted properly, so rsnapshot created a directory under /media, called veracrypt1, while the real disk was called veracrypt2.

Running the below confused me as the total used space is about 2TB on my external disk, not 150GB. Going into the media folder showed me multiple veracrypt, I deleted that 150GB rsnapshot folder, and re-mounted the external volume.

sudo rsnapshot du

I want to thank you all very much for taking your time to help me, I likely wouldn't have spent the time otherwise, and I did learn some new things for managing disk space! I will keep that web page bookmarked.

Return to “Newbie Questions”