Problems upgrading from Mint 19 Cinnamon to Mint 20

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Problems upgrading from Mint 19 Cinnamon to Mint 20

Post by Hexeta »

Just been following the "How To" at https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nt-20.html and it seems I've over estimated my competence! :lol:

Package updates and snapshot went well, slight problem with "Purge PPA's etc" in that Downgrade and remove foreign packages just hung, so I closed the terminal window and continued regardless, re-booted and created another time shift snapshot!
Installed upgrade tool and did the upgrade simulation, I think this listed the persisting foreign packages and showed a "sudo ap get" command to remove them, but it continued on quickly and I didn't want to interrupt in case I caused problems.

Downloading the package upgrade showed a few dpkg warnings I think were related to those pesky foreigners, but continued to the end.

Applying the upgrade complained about something being open and needing a re-boot when convenient, though it didn't pause long enough for me to do anything about it and continued to what I suspect was almost within touching distance of the finish, installing various fonts, ...when it just hung! :(

So near and yet so far!
I had to do a hard shutdown and re-booted expecting zilch, but was rewarded with my old install of Mint 19. :o
No idea how to proceed, since just repeating and expecting a different outcome is the road to madness!
Does anyone here have the patience and knowledge to guide me through this? :roll:
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problems upgrading from Mint 19 Cinnamon to Mint 20

Post by blackcarajillo »

I would try again, of course after doing a round with Timeshift and a general backup.

Afterwards update your system as usual or using the terminal.

Try to do just the same but first remove the foreign packages from the PPAs by hand either using the software center or the command line, I would even do an autoremove that is why I would prefer the console, especially for upgrades as you can read through the errors. That means my advice would be to leave the step out with letting remove foreign packages through the GUI.

Then deactivate your PPAs manually, e.g. through the software management tool.
After those steps you will update your cache again and then try Clem's instructions.

Post any error messages here.

Edit: Installing fonts take time e.g., be very patient! Normally it does not hang but it generates a lot of background stuff and be near your computer. You will be asked to stop and restart services automatically or to be alerted whenever that happens. I always say yes.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Thanks for that, any advice on scripts to achieve this in terminal?
Then deactivate your PPAs manually, e.g. through the software management tool.
After those steps you will update your cache again and then try Clem's instructions.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

Sorry, in this case just deactivate them from the software management tool, it is easier. Because I use no scripts and that is the only step done in the GUI. Otherwise you could install ppa-purge or using the rm command that I do not recommend.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

OK, thanks, I'll give it a try.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Hmm!
problem is I don't know how to identify my PPA's!
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

Hexeta wrote: problem is I don't know how to identify my PPA's!
In Update Manager: Edit > Software Sources > PPAs
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

In update manager there is option to disable ppas.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Joe Football, thanks for guiding me to the PPA's
Problem is ...the list is empty!
No idea what the problem is or what the exceptions were which were listed during the installation phase, but because that process was uninteruptable, I could not stop the install and remove the listed items.
Guess I'll just have to attempt to install again from the top!
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

Hexeta wrote: Guess I'll just have to attempt to install again from the top!
You could. Or you could stick with LM 19.3 for now, as it's supported until April 2023.

Another option is to do a clean install of LM 20, which I would recommend over a codebase upgrade like you're attempting.

Or do what I typically do. I keep all LM x.3 as my "production" environment, and have the next series deployed alongside as my "development" environment. I do my important work in "production", and play around (and break, repair, reinstall, etc.) in "development". This way I get the best of both worlds. When the next series hits its x.3 variety, I retire the former series, and the new x.3 becomes my new "production".

For example, I'm typing this on LM 19.3. which I will keep until LM 20.3 comes out, but also have all three versions of LM 20 installed alongside which I will continue to explore and upgrade in the interim.

EDIT: Corrected my grammar.
Last edited by JoeFootball on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

I Like your approach!
I am currently using 19.3 on my old laptop, a HP G56-100SA.
It only has 3GB RAM so it's not too quick but it manages.
I was only attempting the upgrade because it popped up as a recommend and I thought I might be clever enough to mamage it! ...wrong!

I just love messing about with Linux 'cos it costs nothing if you mess up!

I have Arch running on an external drive and it runs faster than Mint on the internal drive!
That might sound as if I am more competent than I really am, 'cos I cheated, ...used Anarchy to install it!
That said, I find the terminal commands in Arch to be far more user friendly but I'm sure that if I get into a mess with Arch, there are no helping hands, it is just you and the Arch WiKi!

I think I might have one more try and if that also fails "non-destructively" I'll leave it for a week or two and maybe do a clean install as you suggest.
Thanks for your advice.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

If you have no PPAs listed, no problem. Better for the upgrade but maybe you can remember which programs you have installed from them and remove them, in other words using apt to remove them and later proceed with the upgrade to Linux Mint 20.

The Mint x.3 version will be just the same with some components (mostly related to Mint) updated, it still will be Ubuntu 20.04 under the hood.
The problem is not the version of Mint it is rather the upgrade process because it is not streamlined and I still upgrade but I know my way around (Debian).
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Hi there, I took JoeFootball's advice and backed up my documents and did a clean install of 20.
I had an idea that all was not well as the install progressed as it took over half an hour to complete!
When finally complete, I re-booted and it took 66 seconds to arrive at the log in screen and a further 66 seconds to reach a working desktop, SO SLOOOW!

There were a whole shedload of updates to apply and each piece of software took over thirty seconds to open for the first time.
Looking at the logs, I was horrified to see that there was a seemingly endless list of problems in each section.

Never had this happen with a standard install before, the ISO was verified so I can't understand just what has naused it up.
The machine is a HP Laptop G56-100SA with a 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm, 3GB RAM.
OEM Operating system was Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and Wireless connectivity is: 802.11 b/g/n

I was somewhat surprised when the wireless list only detected the "g" signal!

Any ideas what is wrong here?
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

Personally I do not think that your specs are so great for running Cinnamon but still it should not boot that long I think even though you have a conventional and slow hard disk and only 3 GB of RAM.
So if it is a fresh install you probably should open a new thread for that specific issue.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

OK, thanks, I'll do that.

Return to “Newbie Questions”