How to print to a printer connected to a Windows 7 machine?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
colski
Level 2
Level 2

How to print to a printer connected to a Windows 7 machine?

Post by colski »

Hello,

Our main printer is connected to a Windows 7 PC.

Every time I try to print from a linux mint 19.3 PC to this printer it doesn't work.

Up pops a box each time saying "Authentication required for printing document......."

It prefills the username box with the name of the main user on the linux mint pc.

If I use my linux mint login password nothing happens and the box pops up again.

If I fill in the username and password fields using the windows 7 login details it still does not work and up pops the authentication box again.

This is really driving me nuts. Why oh why is this so difficult?

(On the linux mint machine I can access the shared files and folders and see the printer on the windows 7 PC. )

(We I select the printer when about to print, there is a comment at the side of the printer that says: Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

Can anyone help or show me a simple printer setup tutorial where the printer is permanently attached to a windows 7 PC.

Thank you in advance.

Col
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to print to a printer connected to a Windows 7 machine?

Post by Kester »

Hi colski,

It's not clear exactly what you are trying to do or what setup you have. A bit more information is required but it seems that you are expecting to access a printer using Windows printer drivers from a Linux system.

How is your printer connected to your Windows printer? For example, is it via usb cable or wifi or is it networked?

What make and model printer do you have?

How does your Linux Mint system link to the Windows 7 system? For example, do you have a dual boot arrangement?

Until you can give these details any help is just going to be guesswork.
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

OK, here is the simplicity of it:

Imagine a windows 7 machine with a simple usb printer attached.

My linux mint pc is a separate PC.

Both computers are on a home office network with individual static IP addresses and with the same subnet etc.

The linux machine can already see and access shared folders on the windows machine.

How do I get the linux machine to be able to print on the printer connected to the windows PC?

Thank you in advance.
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi colski,

I think your easiest solution is to obtain a usb switch and then add physical usb links to your Linux computer and Win7 computer. You would need to acquire printer drivers for your Linux machine and install them. The disadvantage of this arrangement is that the printer is linked to one or the other system and not both at the same time. You don't say what make or model your printer is so I can't say where to look for the drivers but you will need to visit the manufacturer's website and investigate to see if they have a Linux driver for your model. Whatever solution you pick you will need a Linux driver installed on your Linux machine.

Regarding networking, I don't know if your Win7 machine can act as as a server for your printer so the Linux system can access it once it has the printer driver installed or if the printer needs to be connected to your router (if it has a usb socket) and both systems have access that way. Hopefully someone with more expertise than I will step in here. You may find posting your query in the 'Hardware' - 'Printers & Scanners' section of this forum yields more help. If you do that, provide your printer details, router details, current connection detail and printer driver details and you will surely get the help you need.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Colski. You have not stated how the printer is connected, though I suspect you have a USB cable between printer and Windows computer. If so you would do better to use a wireless printer connection to the network so that it is accessible to all computers on that network.
Cliff Coggin

Return to “Newbie Questions”