Partition sizes for new install? 1 for Mint system- 1 for Home

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Partition sizes for new install? 1 for Mint system- 1 for Home

Post by all41 »

AndyMH wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:24 pm
Fred Barclay wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 am
:lol: I'm back! For a little while anyways...
Great seeing you and the other crew again! :mrgreen:
Nice to see you again!

I always did a clean install on major version changes. This time I thought I'd see what would happen with an upgrade from LM19 to LM20. Went relatively smoothly, and was surprised. Did wipe out all my ppas and additional repos, so adding those back in, had to re-install virtualbox, but overall think less effort than starting again.

Note - manual partitioning during install is off the 'something else' option.
Hi AndyMH,
I think you mentioned somewhere that you had the gm10 tools and ppa aboard when you did the in-place upgrade.
Same here, and it also wiped all ppas and every repo including focal and ulyana. To further test I did a fresh install of Mint 19.3 adding no additional sources or ppas, but installed all available 19.3 updates. Also by this time the upgrade instructions had been revised. That in-place upgrade went smoothly--but still time consuming.
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.

Return to “Newbie Questions”