Cannot switch to virtual consoles

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Montosh
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot switch to virtual consoles

Post by Montosh »

Switched to a new computer and installed Linux Mint 20. Everything works fine except I can't seem to switch to the virtual consoles using Ctlr + Alt + F[1-6] like I used to. Whenever I hit those keys, my screen just says it's gone into power saving mode, as if it's not getting any signal.

No idea what could be causing this. If anyone has any experience with this issue I would be immensely grateful for the assistance.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cannot switch to virtual consoles

Post by MrEen »

Hi Montosh, and welcome to the forum.

On a hunch, what happens if you try using the Fn key with that sequence, if you have one?
Montosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Montosh »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:45 pm
Hi Montosh, and welcome to the forum.

On a hunch, what happens if you try using the Fn key with that sequence, if you have one?
I don't have an Fn key I'm afraid.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, darn. I was hoping the use of the Fn key was reversed.

We'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable than myself.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Do you have more than one monitor output i.e. an onboard one & a discrete one? .. it could be sending the TTY to the other output. If so you might be able to disable the unwanted output in BIOS?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Montosh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Montosh »

BG405 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 pm
Do you have more than one monitor output i.e. an onboard one & a discrete one? .. it could be sending the TTY to the other output. If so you might be able to disable the unwanted output in BIOS?
No I don't have any other monitor output.
kukamuumuka wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:47 pm
Remap some key as Fn. https://ictsolved.github.io/remap-key-in-linux/
I did this and tried to use the key combination with Fn. It did not change anything I'm afraid.

Return to “Newbie Questions”