[solved] what do we do with an app image after downloading it.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tonyaimer
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] what do we do with an app image after downloading it.

Post by tonyaimer »

I am sure the boffins all know the answer to this but I do not and have no idea where to even find this kind of info.

If I download software as an appimage what do I need to do then to make the file into a usable program and to create an icon for it on the desktop ( assume it has an icon buried in the code somehow )

Then there is flatpack and other kinds of stuff?

Some wise guidance would be well received at this end.

Regards

Tony Aimer
Last edited by tonyaimer on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: what do we do with an app image after downloading it.

Post by kc1di »

In Most cases with appimages all you have to do is give it permission to run as an executable program.
Right mouse click on the file you downloaded go to properties then select permissions about half way down you will find a check box that says allow executing file as a program. Make sure that is checked. Once you done that you should be able to click on the file and the program will run.
In most cases you will have to manually add the program to your menu to be able to execute it from there. How you do that will depend on the Desktop your using. Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

tonyaimer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am
Then there is flatpack...
Flatpak is integrated into Mint's software manager. You can view if the program is from the repos or a flatpak. Of course you can also use flatpak from the command line. If you install a flatpak application it will be added automatically to the menu and you just have to click on it and it will run.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

tonyaimer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am
If I download software as an appimage what do I need to do then to make the file into a usable program and to create an icon for it on the desktop ( assume it has an icon buried in the code somehow )
I'll give all terminal commands.

Per kc1di, make the file executable:

Code: Select all

chmod +x filename.AppImage
Now you can run it:

./filename.AppImage
If it's not in your $PATH, which is probably isn't, to make it easier, you can either make a link to it, or make an easy script to run it.

I have gimp in this file:

/mnt/DATA/@installs/gimp/GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.15-20191212-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage
I can run it by entering that entire string, or make it easier by making a link to it with the ln command:

ln -s /mnt/DATA/@installs/gimp/GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.15-20191212-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage /home/username/bin/gimp
then you can run "gimp" from a terminal or with "Open with" in a file browser.

I prefer making a simple script, one line, which just has the entire path:

$ cat $HOME/bin/gimp
/mnt/DATA/@installs/gimp/GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.15-20191212-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage 
$HOME/bin will be in your $PATH if it exists (you have to create it at some point) when you login.

It doesn't automagically show up in my menus, and I don't know how to make an icon for it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Flemur wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 pm

It doesn't automagically show up in my menus, and I don't know how to make an icon for it.
I just down load an Icon form the internet like this one https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... me.svg.png
put it where I want it on in my /home directory and when I make the menu entry use it for the icon.
Works well.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
linux-rox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux-rox »

As kc1di says, the main trick is making the AppImage executable. Sometimes it's distributed in zip format. Right-click and select "Extract Here." This will give you access to the actual files. Copy the AppImage someplace convenient, then make it executable. After that, you can delete the zip folder.
tonyaimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tonyaimer »

Thanks to all who have given me a lot to digest and work through

Regards

Tony Aimer

Return to “Newbie Questions”