1) Is Wine just another Linux Package? 2) Should it be on a dedicated machine?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fran_3
Level 2
Level 2

1) Is Wine just another Linux Package? 2) Should it be on a dedicated machine?

Post by Fran_3 »

New to Linux here but have 3 or 4 Windows programs that I will still need to run so I am considering installing Wine.

My questions:
1) Is Wine just another Linux "package" that can co-exist on the same machine with Linux packages, programs, apps?
2) Can you just "open" or "launch" the Wine program/application when you need it or is it always "open" on the system?
3 ) If you can just open/launch it when you need it will you have to reinstall your windows programs/apps each time or will they still be there?
4) How much hard disk space does and ram does Wine require?
Thanks for any help.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: 1) Is Wine just another Linux Package? 2) Should it be on a dedicated machine?

Post by Flemur »

Fran_3 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:19 am
New to Linux here but have 3 or 4 Windows programs that I will still need to run so I am considering installing Wine.

My questions:
1) Is Wine just another Linux "package" that can co-exist on the same machine with Linux packages, programs, apps?
2) Can you just "open" or "launch" the Wine program/application when you need it or is it always "open" on the system?
3 ) If you can just open/launch it when you need it will you have to reinstall your windows programs/apps each time or will they still be there?
Thanks for any help.
1 - yes
2 - wine only runs when you start it; when you stop the program running under wine, wine stops. (and the wine processes don't use much resources)
3 - your programs stay installed.
4 - It's gotten a lot bigger lately, almost doubled in size recently (from wine 4 to 5) to nearly 1 GB. Then your wine "prefix", $HOME/.wine can be a few hundred MB plus the programs you install.

Pro Tip! Install wine using the instructions for your release on the Mint website, under "release notes". Don't follow the instructions at winehq unless you have a very good reason for it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Q

Post by kc1di »

on Mint 20 and 19.3 you should use the wine-installer package, not the WineHq or wine-stable packages.
This saves a lot of trouble. If you must have a newer version of wine than what is available in wine-installer , install play on linux which allows you to down load and install many wine versions without interfering with each other.
Some windows programs run better on older or newer versions of wine.
Some programs don't run at all under wine. You'll just have to try them.

Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Q

Post by GS3 »

kc1di wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 am
In my experience most programs do not run under WINE. Only a few run without problems. Maybe I could get a few more to run if I spent a lot of time but they certainly don't run at first try. I have given up with several programs because it just wasn't worth the trouble.

On the other hand, I am running my favorite Windows graphics program, Irfanview, without problem and without a hitch.

But, just to give an example, I have not been able to get Sketchup to work, Or Outlook Express. Or a bunch of others.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
linux-rox
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 1) Is Wine just another Linux Package? 2) Should it be on a dedicated machine?

Post by linux-rox »

Fran_3 wrote:
... have 3 or 4 Windows programs that I will still need to run so I am considering installing Wine.
You can check reports by other users: https://appdb.winehq.org/
Fran_3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fran_3 »

Very helpful folks.
I'm guessing I may have to go to dual boot or keep a separate windows pc just for critical apps... groan.
Whatever, I'm determined to make the switch to Linux on my main machine.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

GS3 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:05 am
kc1di wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 am
In my experience most programs do not run under WINE.
All my favorite games for windows work for Linux Mint :D I use Wine and PlayOnLinux.It also helps me vcrun6,directx and d3dx9 .
Last edited by MrEen on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject line to the same as the rest of the posts in this topic.
linux-rox
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linux-rox »

Fran_3 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 pm
I'm guessing I may have to go to dual boot or keep a separate windows pc just for critical apps... groan.
Another option is running Windows as a virtual machine, in VirtualBox or VMWare (I prefer VBox). One advantage is that you can open Windows inside Mint without having to reboot, nor reboot to get back to Mint. It is another learning curve, though, and requires reasonably robust hardware.

If that doesn't appeal, I'd go for second machine, unless it's not going to be used often. Double-reboot gets old pretty fast.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:42 pm
All my favorite games for windows work for Linux Mint :D I use Wine and PlayOnLinux.It also helps me vcrun6,directx and d3dx9 .
I suppose I might get some of my Windows programs to work if I spent some time and effort but I gave up. I am also turned off by the fact that after much effort I might get it to work on one machine and in a year I might be upgrading the OS and it will all have been wasted and I have to start all over again. For now I just go to my Windows machine.

Have a look: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=305526
The responses were not encouraging at all.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jerry N »

Fran_3 wrote: "Very helpful folks.
Whatever, I'm determined to make the switch to Linux on my main machine."

You can easily run Windows operating system in a virtual box within Linux rather than needing a separate machine or dual boot. Of course you will need a legal copy of Windows to install in the virtual box. I use XP and Win 7. Windows in a virtual box can have access to the internet, if you so desire, but it is not required. Windows running in a virtual box has access to hard drives, USB devices including printers, and CD/DVD players/recorders. See https://www.virtualbox.org/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox. The only software I have not been able to run in a virtual box is the Afinia software associated with Afinia 3-D printers.

By the way, old Sketchup version 8 works great in Windows XP and Win 7 in a virtual box and works well with a few quirks in Wine in Mint 19.3. It does not work in Wine version 5 in Mint 20.

Jerry
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Fran_3 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 pm
Very helpful folks.
Whatever, I'm determined to make the switch to Linux on my main machine.
Don't give up before you start; I've found that most windows programs run under wine, and if don't have any luck with your 3 or 4 programs it's pretty easy to delete the wine installation, and trivially easy to delete your "prefix".

These programs run well under wine for me:

Code: Select all

AVSVideoReMaker  Avidemux	 Foxit_Reader  PaulStretch	      Photoshop7
Audition_1.5	 Avidemux32_old  IrfanView     PhotomatrixEssentials  foobar2000
AutoPanoPro	 FlashPlayer	 JPEGsnoop     Photoshop12	      mp3tag
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit »

Fran_3 wrote:
>>>>>
My questions:
Thanks for any help.
Just in case there's any confusion, wine isn't a program, you don't "run it", it's a pseudo windows environment, that starts up when you click on a windows program.
You have to install your windows apps in the .wine directory, or let wine do the installation from a setup.exe program.
So yes once installed in the .wine directory the program is always available. Getting a desktop icon is sometimes a little more tricky, but help is here.
I personally have a good experience with wine, my old Family Tree for Windows program doesn't work well in windows 7, but I can set wine to use an XP environment and it works perfectly. Same with my windows only GPS software, it was just a matter of figuring out how to connect linux usb inputs to windows "ports".
As mentioned, you may be lucky, you may not, depends on the programs you need.

Return to “Newbie Questions”