[SOLVED] Screen Too Bright - Linux Mint 20

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
trope
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Screen Too Bright - Linux Mint 20

Post by trope »

Was using Mint 19 MATE and there was an application indicator-brightness (brightness indicator for unity panel) in the Software Manager, which installed an icon in the bottom right corner that I could click on and adjust the screen brightness. Dell latitude laptop. I installed Mint 20, MATE, and unfortunately the same application is not in the software manager. I believe I found the same application here:

https://launchpad.net/~indicator-bright ... ubuntu/ppa

I wonder if the reason it is not in the Mint 20 software manager is because the latest version is for ubuntu 18 and Mint 20 is based on ubuntu 20.

I tried installing "brightnessctl" in the software manager, and then "Launch", but nothing happens. I also tried clicking on the battery as I saw mentions of some versions of Mint allowing a brightness slider, but mine does not have it.

What's the risk of trying to install the PPA of the indicator-brightness I found above (and hoping it works), since I know I'm only supposed to install things from the software manager? Is there some way I can vet that a PPA Is safe, eg a page of reviews online? Other ideas for how I can adjust the screen brightness? I already installed redshift.
Last edited by trope on Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Screen Too Bright - Linux Mint 20

Post by hydrurga »

If you right-click on the MATE panel and select Add to Panel->Brightness Applet, then you can adjust the brightness with that.

You can move the applet by right-clicking on it, selecting Move and then dragging it.

For info, it's MATE's Power Manager, which is installed by default, that provides that applet.
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by trope »

Fantastic, worked like a charm!
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by trope »

Is there any way to program the level of brightness I want so that when I log-in to Mint 20, it will automatically set that level? Currently the default is the brightest level.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

check the power management settings for screen brightness
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by trope »

Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”