Trying to network two computers SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
calcat19
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to network two computers SOLVED

Post by calcat19 »

I guess I'll have to ask first what sort of information I need to provide.

Anyhow, here's the situation. I've been dual-booting Linux and Windows on and off for so many years. I have two computers, each computer has Linux and Windows on it. In the past, sure I've had some hoops to go through, but I always managed to be able to use Linux on my laptop, and if it happened that the desktop was still in Windows, I was still able to access the data partitions on that computer.

I'm getting older, and find that this isn't easy any more, so I'm posting this in the Newbie Questions section.

This time around, I am simply not able to access the desktop from the laptop when the desktop is in Windows. That's okay, I thought, I'll just boot into Linux on the desktop, and Linux on the laptop, and I'll be able to access the desktop folders from the laptop.
That is not working. Sometimes, my laptop can 'see' the folders on the desktop, but I can't access them. It won't accept my password, which I suppose is the password to get into the system.

Sometimes, my laptop can't see *any* folders on the desktop. Sometimes, like today, my laptop can 'see' an entirely different range of folders on the desktop. I don't know why that's happening, when I haven't made any changes. *sigh*

I'm tearing my hair out. So, before just giving up on networking when I'm using Linux, and losing access to the data that is on the desktop computer, I thought I'd post here.

What I'd like to ask is if there is a clear, step-by-step set of instructions to git this did. I *have* been scouring the 'net, trying out suggestions, but *not* 'gitting 'er did'. Maybe I need to start from zero, start from the beginning. (Plaintive cry - "when did this all become so difficult?!")
Could really use some help.
Thanks.
Last edited by calcat19 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Trying to network two computers

Post by asinoro »

I respond to your post because you wrote so many things without to mention your Linux operating system. The Forum gives info how to get help!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Sadly, asinoro did not give you enough information to help us help you.

At the top of every page is this
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Whithout the info from the highlighted bit notably POINT 5, we can only guess!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RollyShed »

One totally different approach is not share files but "give" the file to which ever computer wants it.

Install Dukto in all computers, it runs on everything, .exe file for Windows, .deb for Linux Mint.

Open the app on both computers. The giver sees the computer to be given to (third box down), click on it, drag the file or folder to Dukto and it is now somewhere on the receive computer. Usually home on the Linux Mint.
calcat19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by calcat19 »

I hadn't seen that in my searches. I'll give that a try, thanks.
calcat19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by calcat19 »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:09 am

Forum rules
Aha! Okay, thanks, I'll check that out, and get back in here.
calcat19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by calcat19 »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:09 am

Forum rules
Okay, here is my information, which I hope will help. Let me know if I should just post this as a new query, please.
desktop
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa /n /l
Operating System: Linux Mint 19.1
Kernel: Linux 4.15.0-20-generic
Architecture: x86-64
CPU: Dual Core AMD A4-5300B APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-)
speed/min/max: 1397/1400/3400 MHz Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 Up: 17m
Mem: 1292.7/7235.4 MiB (17.9%) Storage: 1.82 TiB (2.9% used) Procs: 172
Shell: bash 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.27
X-Cinnamon

laptop
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa \n \l
Operating System: Linux Mint 19.1
Kernel: Linux 4.15.0-91-generic
Architecture: x86-64
CPU: Dual Core Intel Core i5-7200U (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 700/400/3100 MHz Kernel: 4.15.0-91-generic x86_64 Up: 1h 38m
Mem: 1320.3/7844.8 MiB (16.8%) Storage: 938.92 GiB (1.3% used) Procs: 209
Shell: bash 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.27
X-Cinnamon

At the moment, I'm in Linux in both machines. When I try to open a folder on the desktop, the error message is:
Unable to mount location.
Failed to mount Windows shares: Permission denied.
I'm assuming that is because the data partitions are ntfs, and were created when I've been in Windows.

Fun fact: I today created a folder, in Linux, in the desktop machine, and gave it read/write/execute permission, and created a share. It is called "TESTFOLDERLINUX". It is not appearing, in Linux, in the laptop machine. I created it in a partition called "MYSTUFF", which was created when I set up my computer, in Windows.

Second fun fact: I *can* see a folder called "share test", when I'm on the laptop, trying to access the desktop, which I am able to access. At some time, I created it in the documents folder in Linux. It's nice that I can see folders that I've created in Linux, for sharing. However, the data files that I want to access, as I mention above, are in ntfs folders, created when I've been in Windows.
Okay, so, can anybody help me to get started with figuring out what I need to do, in order to be able to access the desktop computer, in Linux, from the laptop computer, in Linux? (If it helps me access those data files even when the desktop computer is in Windows, that would be a bonus, but I'm happy with baby steps.)
TIA,
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

Check this probably you can reply at this post for help:viewtopic.php?t=270442
calcat19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by calcat19 »

asinoro wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:56 am
Check this probably you can reply at this post for help:viewtopic.php?t=270442
Thank you. I found this link: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=199907

I tried the command:
smb://win10-host-name/share-name

That has worked. I would like to work on this some more, because accessing the other computer is *very, very* slow. It can take up to a minute. Once it's loaded, it is still very slow to access, for example when I am saving a file.

Could anyone suggest why it might be so slow, and how to sort that out?
Thanks.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Also, on two Mint 19.x or 20 computers(or Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 and possibly equal derivatives) you can use the Warpinator: https://github.com/linuxmint/warpinator

be sure to look at How to build and install: apt install warpinator and then you have to add that ppa to satisfy dependencies when using 19.x(Ubuntu 18.04).
calcat19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by calcat19 »

Thank you That looks interesting. I'm not sure is it would help a lot? I want to be able to browse folders, and there are a lot of them, to pull pics from various different folders that are on the other machine. It wouldn't be a case of sharing only one or two files. I'll keep looking into it, in case I've gotten wrong what it is capable of doing.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I also dual boot (Win 7 and now LM20 XFCE) on two PCs with one all-Mint laptop. I gave up years ago trying to use Samba. For a decade I simply used a Dropbox and recently a MegaSync storage desktop clients, which work across both platforms seamlessly and automatically result in cloud storage, too. The Dropbox or MegaSync folder have to be on a mounted Windows (or external) drive, since Mint can "see" a mounted Windows drive but Windows can't see Mint.

Since my PC use is now nearly 90% Mint, I've begun using the new Warpinator for Mint to Mint file transfers. It is dead simple to set up and very effective and quick directly over local wifi. Even though it's Mint to Mint, I locate the Warpinator "receving" folder on dual boots in the Windows partition so that the files can be used in Windows. (The latest Warpinator update to version 1.0.8 is in the repository and solves a temporary glitch.) Not sure about compatibility with Mint 19.1.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

At the moment, I'm in Linux in both machines. When I try to open a folder on the desktop, the error message is:
Unable to mount location.
Failed to mount Windows shares: Permission denied.
You are trying to access the desktop from the laptop? If yes:

[1] Go to the desktop.

[2] Open a terminal and post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

net usershare info --long

hostname
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
calcat19
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trying to network two computers SOLVED

Post by calcat19 »

If I can figure out how to post SOLVED, I'll do that.
To get to the networked desktop computer, I use:
smb://[nameofothercomputer].local/

To get to the networked desktop computer from within native Linux programs, I use:
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=[nameofothercomputer].local,share=[drive that I want to access].

So those bits are solved.

I'm going to go looking now, in this forum, for how to get to the networked desktop computer from within Wine. (I've been looking all over, and have tried a couple of things, so far with no success.)

Thanks everyone for your patience and help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”