Linux Mint 20 takes a lot of time to load [Abandoned]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 20 takes a lot of time to load [Abandoned]

Post by Spectrum75 »

Hello,
Since I recently installed Linux Mint 20 on my laptop, it takes time to load when I use the Nvidia Drivers. On boot the screen goes blank and after only 5-8 minutes it shows the Nvidia logo and have to wait another 4 min then only it boots. Any fix for this?

I have tried the open-source driver, but my pc becomes really slow when I use it and cant stream any video.
Last edited by Spectrum75 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 20 takes a lot of time to load

Post by zcot »

you can use terminal command: dmesg (maybe it will show some useful info. each second and millionths of second are shown. maybe you will find where there are long waiting periods)
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

I used the command and got the output, since it was really big I posted it on paste bin

Paste Bin link:
https://pastebin.com/yezNigMb
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

We better see the info mentioned in the pink box above where it mentions inxi -Fxxxrz.
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

What does that mean? I cannot see inxi -Fxxxrz, Please help me step by step as I am new to Linux
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 20 nvidia causing 2 min boot delay

Post by zcot »

Oh, there's a pink or red box at the top of the forum sections, it's at the top of this thread too, and it shows how to post your system info so we might be able to get relevant info about the hardware.
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

Sorry to ask again, do you mean that I have to paste the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
command?
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

Here is the Output of inxi -Fxxxrz command here:

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 wm: muffin 4.6.3 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Sony product: VPCCW1BGN v: C602CZ9P serial: <filter> 
  Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Sony model: VAIO serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends 
  v: R0190Y5 date: 09/22/2009 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 39.2 Wh condition: 39.2/48.8 Wh (80%) volts: N/A/111.0 
  model: Sony Corp. type: Li-ion serial: N/A status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo P8700 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 10108 
  Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/2534 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 
  1: 798 2: 798 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce G210M] vendor: Sony driver: nvidia 
  v: 340.108 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0a74 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce G210M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Sony driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:293e 
  Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio vendor: Sony driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0be3 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-42-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Sony driver: sky2 
  v: 1.30 port: c000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 11ab:4380 
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: c000 
  bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 8086:4232 
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  IF-ID-1: vboxnet0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 44.05 GiB (14.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9320325ASG size: 298.09 GiB 
  speed: 1.5 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter> rev: APM2 scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 291.92 GiB used: 22.02 GiB (7.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 69.0 C mobo: 69.0 C gpu: nvidia temp: 87 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com ulyana main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/uget-team-ppa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/uget-team/ppa/ubuntu focal main
Info:
  Processes: 212 Uptime: 5h 21m Memory: 3.81 GiB used: 1.94 GiB (51.0%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38 
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

Ubuntu do a boot repair feature which can be run from disc or usb.

As mint is related to Ubuntu, you can use this to investigate and rectify boot issues and create a paste bin record of what it did.

It found and rectified boot issues for me after I had used Clonezilla to clone my desktop set up to my laptop.

It also recommended putting grub toward the front of the laptop HDD and gives an online guide of how to do this.

Start up is now ~60 to 100+ secs (not actually timed it), so fairly happy - although I do not see the option for a safe start as it loads the O/S.
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

P.S. I have never had any success with NVIDIA drivers and use the open source neuveau? (nor the right spelling, I think) driver quite sucessfully instead.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

It's clear to mostly be an issue using that nvidia driver with the system. I'm not sure right off where to go with that.

Make sure you have the dkms module built correctly, which I suspect it will be or it doesn't want to start: dkms status terminal command, -that should show at least one line that shows your current kernel which is 5.4.0-42-generic and it will say nvidia-340. So that's good if you have it, not as good if you don't.

You can try the nomodeset kernel boot parameter option to see if the system will initially set up a vga framework and the fbcon can get into use quicker, then after the system is starting into the login screen it will load the nvidia driver as it normally does. Check on the release notes, down in the section about "solving freezes", https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php the idea is just to follow those instructions even though it mentions a problem with blackscreen or freezing, but it's the same result. Get it to where you can temporarily boot adding the nomodeset parameter to test the boot time. If it makes a big difference then you can edit the setup to do that automatically. So let us know if that boots anything like a normal boot would.

There's another few items you could tweak and shave off a handful of seconds, but that's nothing compared to the problem with the nvidia driver here.

Anything beyond this is going to be a complex and time consuming set of tests and I don't see an clear answer to this exact problem at the moment. I'll dig around to see if I realize some specifics about this Vaio laptop model.
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

using the dkms status command gives the following output:

nvidia-340, 340.108, 5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64: installed
virtualbox, 6.1.10, 5.4.0-26-generic, x86_64: installed
virtualbox, 6.1.10, 5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64: installed
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

Ummh, Can you help me with the nomodset thing, like how to do it?
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

zcot wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 pm
It's clear to mostly be an issue using that nvidia driver with the system. I'm not sure right off where to go with that.

Make sure you have the dkms module built correctly, which I suspect it will be or it doesn't want to start: dkms status terminal command, -that should show at least one line that shows your current kernel which is 5.4.0-42-generic and it will say nvidia-340. So that's good if you have it, not as good if you don't.

You can try the nomodeset kernel boot parameter option to see if the system will initially set up a vga framework and the fbcon can get into use quicker, then after the system is starting into the login screen it will load the nvidia driver as it normally does. Check on the release notes, down in the section about "solving freezes", https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php the idea is just to follow those instructions even though it mentions a problem with blackscreen or freezing, but it's the same result. Get it to where you can temporarily boot adding the nomodeset parameter to test the boot time. If it makes a big difference then you can edit the setup to do that automatically. So let us know if that boots anything like a normal boot would.

There's another few items you could tweak and shave off a handful of seconds, but that's nothing compared to the problem with the nvidia driver here.

Anything beyond this is going to be a complex and time consuming set of tests and I don't see an clear answer to this exact problem at the moment. I'll dig around to see if I realize some specifics about this Vaio laptop model.

What you said is correct, when I use then open-source one it shows the mint logo and boots in about 2 min or so and as mentioned earlier its pretty much useless considering the fact it is very slow and cant run any media streaming playback.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Spectrum75 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 am
see here: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php look at the first video there and boot like that. press 'e' to edit at the first screen and follow along with the instruction video, and press F10 to boot when you have nomodeset added.

This temporarily (just this one time) adds the nomodeset parameter for the kernel before you boot. Let's see if that eliminates minutes from the startup time.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Might as well show the output from: systemd-analyze

and: systemd-analyze critical-chain

Also, is there any problem using suspend, and also recovering from suspend? or you don't use that feature when the pc goes to sleep?

And show the output from command: xrandr
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

Sorry for a bit late reply.

Output of systemd-analyze:

Startup finished in 7.812s (kernel) + 51.975s (userspace) = 59.788s 
graphical.target reached after 51.945s in userspace

Output of systemd-analyze critical-chain:

The time when unit became active or started is printed after the "@" character.
The time the unit took to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @51.945s
└─multi-user.target @51.945s
  └─virtualbox.service @51.246s +698ms
    └─network-online.target @51.218s
      └─NetworkManager-wait-online.service @30.441s +20.776s
        └─NetworkManager.service @22.291s +8.146s
          └─dbus.service @22.283s
            └─basic.target @22.060s
              └─sockets.target @22.060s
                └─snapd.socket @22.058s +1ms
                  └─sysinit.target @21.921s
                    └─snapd.apparmor.service @21.339s +581ms
                      └─apparmor.service @19.207s +2.127s
                        └─local-fs.target @19.206s
                          └─boot-efi.mount @19.141s +64ms
                            └─systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-C95D\x2dB4EA.ser>
                              └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-C95D\x2dB4EA.device @18.947s
lines 1-20/20 (END)
Output of xrandr:

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS-0 connected primary 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 309mm x 174mm
   1366x768      59.94*+
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Yes, there seems to be some trouble after I click the suspend button the whole OS freezes for a second and then its like pixelating, untill the system shuts.
Same happens with shutdown, sometimes it will be completely stuck at the pixel screen, then I have to forcefully turn off the system by holding the power button.
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

zcot wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:53 am
Spectrum75 wrote:
see here: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php look at the first video there and boot like that. press 'e' to edit at the first screen and follow along with the instruction video, and press F10 to boot when you have nomodeset added.

This temporarily (just this one time) adds the nomodeset parameter for the kernel before you boot. Let's see if that eliminates minutes from the startup time.

It seems like it was a bit faster this time, like 20-25 seconds faster than before. I entered the grub, changed that and after 2 seconds a CLI window came with a lot of boot commands or something (the processes that happen normally on linux) after that came the Nvidia logo again but this time it only stayed for about 2 seconds, after which I was at the login screen entering my password :o
Spectrum75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Spectrum75 »

Spectrum75 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:07 am
zcot wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:53 am
Spectrum75 wrote:

It seems like it was a bit faster this time, like 20-25 seconds faster than before. I entered the grub, changed that and after 2 seconds a CLI window came with a lot of boot commands or something (the processes that happen normally on linux) after that came the Nvidia logo again but this time it only stayed for about 2 seconds, after which I was at the login screen entering my password :o

Anything else to make it more faster?
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Spectrum75 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:33 pm
On boot the screen goes blank and after only 5-8 minutes it shows the Nvidia logo and have to wait another 4 min then only it boots.
Spectrum75 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:07 am
It seems like it was a bit faster this time, like 20-25 seconds faster than before. I entered the grub, changed that and after 2 seconds a CLI window came with a lot of boot commands or something (the processes that happen normally on linux) after that came the Nvidia logo again but this time it only stayed for about 2 seconds, after which I was at the login screen entering my password
So what was the total boot time? Was the systemd-analyze commands run when using the nomodeset test?

20-25 seconds less than 5-8 minutes is better, but still leaves a clear problem.

So originally if it took 5 minutes, does the nomodeset test bring it down to under the 2 minutes mark? It looked to me like there was a large waiting period waiting for the nvidia driver to load and changing to the correct mode for a modesetting operation from the dmesg info. So using nomodeset would eliminate that problem.

It seems to me with that hardware and setup, which is older and slower, it should be able to boot in about 1 minute to maybe 1.5 minutes, -not more than 2 minutes really. Using an SSD would cut everything down notably.

That fsck is happening due to some unclear shutdown/reboot, whereas under normal circumstances that will not be happening, some fsck integrity is needing to run, and that will always add more time.

└─systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-C95D\x2dB4EA.ser>
                              └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-C95D\x2dB4EA.device @18.947s
Suspend not working is some ACPI problem, and there are a few related problem messages listed in the startup for that.

You can make the modeset parameter permanent by editing the /etc/default/grub file and adding the parameter.
open the file with terminal command:

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
find the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
change it to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
save that, then back on terminal:

sudo update-grub