Frequent System Freeze

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

I am using LM 19.2 XFCE, on one of my old computers. Since I installed LM in this computer I noticed that there is always a tendency for a system freeze, suddenly and literally for no reason. I keep my system updated regularly. I have noticed the crash occurs more when there is some kind of video file involved. I changed my default video player from Media player to VLC but still this problem occurs at times, though lesser than before. It happens sometimes even when, video is played online in a browser.

When the system freezes, mouse pointer is able to move but clicks do not respond. The only way is to hard shutdown or ALT+SYSRQ+REISUB. I am afraid that is a very crude way to deal with the problem and it might ruin the computer.

Can anyone help me figure out what might be going wrong with the system.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Frequent System Freeze

Post by zcot »

Please post your system info as mentioned in the red/pink box above. inxi -Fxxxrz

You can also post the result of terminal command: swapon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

swapon
NAME TYPE SIZE USED PRIO
/dev/sda2 partition 4G 102.8M -2

inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
Host: User Kernel: 4.15.0-112-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 tk: Gtk 2.24.31 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4
dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20041 v: Lenovo G460 serial: <filter>
Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A serial: <filter> BIOS: LENOVO v: 29CN25WW(V2.02)
date: 04/26/2010
Battery:
ID-1: BAT1 charge: 45.4 Wh condition: 45.4/47.5 Wh (96%) volts: 12.3/11.1
model: LG PABAS024 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Unknown
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium P6000 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Nehalem rev: 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 7447
Speed: 931 MHz min/max: 933/1866 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 931 2: 931
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce 310M] vendor: Lenovo driver: nouveau
v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0a75
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVA8 v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:3b56
Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0be3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-112-generic
Network:
Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network
Adapter
driver: bcma-pci-bridge v: N/A port: 5000 bus ID: 06:00.0
chip ID: 14e4:4727
Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Lenovo
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus ID: 07:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8136
IF: enp7s0 state: down mac: <filter>
IF-ID-1: wlp6s0b1 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 72.69 GiB (24.4%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS545032B9A300 size: 298.09 GiB
speed: 1.5 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter> rev: C61H scheme: MBR
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 48.97 GiB used: 37.17 GiB (75.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: /home size: 195.86 GiB used: 35.43 GiB (18.1%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sda3
ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.00 GiB used: 102.8 MiB (2.5%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 51 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

For sure this old laptop is not for regular kernel updates. You can install the first kernel of 4.15 and stay there for few days to check.
I wonder if it can manage to run Mint 20 XFCE you can provide more info if it is possible and has space to install it.
Run this command and post it, by copy and paste between the code tags selecting the symbol </> at forum's text editor, the outcome will look like the command.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l ; lsblk -f
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

sudo parted -l ; lsblk -f

Model: ATA HITACHI HTS54503 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  53.7GB  53.7GB  primary  ext4            boot
 2      53.7GB  58.0GB  4295MB  primary  linux-swap(v1)
 3      58.0GB  273GB   215GB   primary  ext4
 4      273GB   320GB   47.3GB  primary

NAME   FSTYPE      LABEL UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                           
├─sda1 ext4              e13f140e-1ac8-4065-86a8-b26b25b70323 /
├─sda2 swap              5beeb329-4a4a-4486-8774-8052716355ca [SWAP]
├─sda3 ext4              281744b8-99c3-49ac-bb0f-420919cfb043 /home
└─sda4 crypto_LUKS       ac267e84-cabd-4c4f-98dd-541869bbc1df 
sr0                                           
I do not think problem is old age of the computer. Everything else works 'sort of' fine.
Only sometimes, it just for no apparent reason, freezes.
If you wish to say that this computer is way too old for LM XFCE then I will not have any other option but to migrate to some other distro.
Which I would not like to do. I prefer all my computers work on same distro.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Do you have any extra extensions installed? I worked out that the regular "pausing" my system was doing every 5 or seconds (very briefly, but annoying as hell when watching video, or gaming) seemed to not be an issue after I disabled the extra extensions i'd added. Annoying to not have access to the extra features, but my system wasn't pausing every 5 seconds or so any more.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

The only option I see is to try the older 4.15 kernel and better the first.
Whatever other Linux you will try, new kernels are for new hardware!
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

The Repo: and Info: sections are missing from the inxi report. Was that a mistake? or was output truncated, which would point at some issue.

You can run inxi -Irxxxz for those 2 sections.
mintymatrix wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:20 am
Since I installed LM in this computer I noticed that there is always a tendency for a system freeze
That means you have gone through a bunch of different kernel versions, which seems to not point at a kernel version issue so much. Although is has only been the 4.15 version so possibly interesting. But 4.18 is deprecated and 5.0 means an entirely different story getting into the HWE stack.

Are you using conky, or any particular add-ons that always run? Or can you pinpoint it to some exact thing like it only ever happens when Firefox is open, or only happens after a cycle of suspend/wake?

Do you see anything if you open the System Reports program and check the Crash Reports tab?
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

I have Conky running, some Desktop apps.
Overall the system runs somewhat slow but is manageable as that computer is not used for anything resource hungry like gaming.
The only problem that I face is unexpected system freeze. As I mentioned, it usually has something to do with playing either online / offline video. After I made VLC my default video player, seems that problem has slightly reduced.
At times certain websites (like web whatsapp) opened along with multiple tabs in Firefox also slows down or freezes the system.
Anything to do with Adobe flash ? Or nVidea drivers ?
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

zcot wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:18 am
You can run inxi -Irxxxz for those 2 sections.
Show us that, because that also shows the amount of memory the pc has. You are showing a swap partition of 4GB and at that time it was showing 2% used which means at some point you were getting near into the upper 20% of the memory usage. /swap should run fine, but it depends also on the amount of actual memory and cache size for videos and in conjunction with whatever else is open and running.

If you only have 2GB of ram, that's definitely a potential for an issue to look into. But also with any amount of memory, if you use most of it and rely on /swap space while trying to do large memory intensive activity then it's a thing.

An easy test would be to disable/stop the conky and Desktop apps for a day or two and see if you can still reproduce the issue. If not, good, we can dig into those areas.

If it still does it, then try to further eliminate an issue, maybe dis-use web whatsapp for a day or two.

If you can get it to happen when Firefox is not running then that helps eliminate the culprit point.

But observing memory/swap usage might be useful too.

-or seeing if you can find an interesting Crash Report.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

inxi -Irxxxz
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com tina main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner
Info:
  Processes: 173 Uptime: 1h 36m Memory: 1.87 GiB used: 678.8 MiB (35.4%) 
  Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 alt: 7 Shell: bash 
  v: 4.4.20 running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.32 
I do not think WebWhatsapp can be the main reason. About 90% of the time it does not creates problem.
Only when multiple tabs are opened it 'might'. Usually it is the videos that are more at a chance to create problem.
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SMG »

Your root partition is rather full (in blue).
Partition:

I was helping someone on a different thread who has MATE desktop and the root was over 80%. I pointed that out and clearing space in root not only seems to have stopped the windows managers crashing, but this person also noticed an improvement with Firefox's CPU usage. Perhaps some of what you have in root can be moved somewhere else? I expect that would help, especially when running videos.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

SMG wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:25 pm
Your root partition is rather full (in blue).
Partition:

I was helping someone on a different thread who has MATE desktop and the root was over 80%. I pointed that out and clearing space in root not only seems to have stopped the windows managers crashing, but this person also noticed an improvement with Firefox's CPU usage. Perhaps some of what you have in root can be moved somewhere else? I expect that would help, especially when running videos.
Thank you for pointing that out.
Apart from some of the software that I might uninstall, can I ask you which all folders / files I should or can regularly clean / delete to make space.
Like we have TEMP folders or files or Cache files.

How can I completely (purge) CONKY and its related files from my system ?
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

This command will list the top 10 largest directories:

du -hs * | sort -rh | head -10
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

zcot wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 am
This command will list the top 10 largest directories:

du -hs * | sort -rh | head -10
Thanks
Largest directories does not means they can be deleted.
Which locations in LM can I find junk or temp files which, if deleted, does not creates trouble for the system.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Oh, right, that command is only /home stuff anyway.

Try that: viewtopic.php?p=1558469#p1558469

sudo du / -hxd 1 -t 100M
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

zcot wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:35 am
Oh, right, that command is only /home stuff anyway.

Try that: viewtopic.php?p=1558469#p1558469

sudo du / -hxd 1 -t 100M
My root partition is using nearly 40Gb of space. I do not understand what is using up so much space !
I have not installed too many 'extra' applications. I feel something unusual is taking up so much space.
Can it be some snapshot of the system ?
How can I look for junk and cache files to remove from my computer ?
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SMG »

mintymatrix wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:59 am
My root partition is using nearly 40Gb of space. I do not understand what is using up so much space !
I have not installed too many 'extra' applications. I feel something unusual is taking up so much space.
I believe the default location for snapshots is the root directory. Many threads on this forum stem from the root directory filling due to snapshots, so that is definitely a possibility. I have my snapshots on an external usb. Timeshift lets me know how much space I have left on that usb drive, so I would think you would also have some indication as well.

Some other things saved in root which can take up space are system kernels. I would advise having no more than two kernels (current active and one prior in case you need to switch back because of problems). However, if this is a fairly new install then you probably do not have more than two anyhow.

Flatpacks can take a lot of space. If you use them then you would just need to make sure you have the space in root to handle them.

I am not aware of specific junk or cache files to clean. My default install is set to keep only a set number of log files--it automatically cleans out older ones.

Snapshots are definitely a possibility, so do check that.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

SMG wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 am
mintymatrix wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:59 am
I believe the default location for snapshots is the root directory. Many threads on this forum stem from the root directory filling due to snapshots, so that is definitely a possibility. I have my snapshots on an external usb. Timeshift lets me know how much space I have left on that usb drive, so I would think you would also have some indication as well.

Some other things saved in root which can take up space are system kernels. I would advise having no more than two kernels (current active and one prior in case you need to switch back because of problems). However, if this is a fairly new install then you probably do not have more than two anyhow.

Flatpacks can take a lot of space. If you use them then you would just need to make sure you have the space in root to handle them.

I am not aware of specific junk or cache files to clean. My default install is set to keep only a set number of log files--it automatically cleans out older ones.

Snapshots are definitely a possibility, so do check that.
Thanks.
I checked snapshots. Deleted one of them and it cleared some space. But still a lot needs to be done.
I will try to check if I can change the location of snapshots.
How can I check if Flatpacks are installed / exist on my system ? Too ignorant about that.
How can I regulate the number of system kernels that can be stored on my system ?
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

How can I move the existing Timeshift system snapshots from ROOT partition to (say) HOME partition ?
If I change the location in Timeshift then seems it does not moves the existing snapshots to the new location.

Return to “Newbie Questions”