Frequent System Freeze

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Frequent System Freeze

Post by SMG »

mintymatrix wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:33 am
How can I check if Flatpacks are installed / exist on my system ?
Flatpacks are a way to install software instead of using Software Manager to do it. If you are asking the question, then you probably don't have any Flatpacks installed.
mintymatrix wrote:
How can I regulate the number of system kernels that can be stored on my system ?
In Update Manager if you select View>Linux Kernels then click Continue you will see the list of available kernels and which of those kernels you have installed on your computer and which one is active. The active one and any others listed as installed are the only ones on your computer. I keep one current and one past version of the LTS kernel (in case I run into an issue and want to switch back). For LM19, the LTS kernel is 4.15.
mintymatrix wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 am
How can I move the existing Timeshift system snapshots from ROOT partition to (say) HOME partition ?
If I change the location in Timeshift then seems it does not moves the existing snapshots to the new location.
Changing the location would only affect new snapshots taken. I've never moved snapshots, so others will have to provide advice on how to do that safely.

This is the method I use to save my snapshots, How to Use Timeshift to Backup and Restore Linux Mint 19 Systems from USB Drive.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

SMG wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:38 am
mintymatrix wrote:
How can I check if Flatpacks are installed / exist on my system ?
Flatpacks are a way to install software instead of using Software Manager to do it. If you are asking the question, then you probably don't have any Flatpacks installed.
I tried installing a few applications through Flatpack some time back but noticed it was taking huge space even for some basic software. Which itself, actually take very little space. Since then never tried Flatpack.

I will also try copy-pasting the existing snapshots and see if they work from the 'new' location in Timeshift.
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SMG »

mintymatrix wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:41 pm
I will also try copy-pasting the existing snapshots and see if they work from the 'new' location in Timeshift.
Here is a thread with some advice Safely Moving Timeshift.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

I moved the snapshot files and there is enough space in my root partition.
I have stopped Conky from running but the package is still installed in the system.
But the system is still not fast enough.

Can any one tell me how to 'purge' conky, along with its related (but unnecessary) files.
If I uninstall Thunderbird, can it create trouble for any other software or the entire system ?

I would also like you all to advise, if it will be suitable for me to upgrade this old computer to LM20 ?
If not, then do I have to forever keep this computer on its existing OS ?
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SMG »

mintymatrix wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:16 am
Have the system freezes stopped? (Your original reason for posting the thread)
mintymatrix wrote:
I have stopped Conky from running but the package is still installed in the system.
But the system is still not fast enough.

Can any one tell me how to 'purge' conky, along with its related (but unnecessary) files.
I am not familiar with Conky, but perhaps this thread will help you [SOLVED]conky delete.
mintymatrix wrote:
If I uninstall Thunderbird, can it create trouble for any other software or the entire system ?
As far as I am aware Thunderbird is stand-alone software. Unless you connected it to other software, it can be removed and will free up space on your drive.
mintymatrix wrote:
I would also like you all to advise, if it will be suitable for me to upgrade this old computer to LM20 ?
If not, then do I have to forever keep this computer on its existing OS ?
The existing OS, LM19, will be updated through April 2023.

Only you can decide if it is suitable to upgrade the computer to LM20. It depends on what you want to use the computer for and how much money, if any, you want to spend on hardware upgrades. Speed on your system is probably limited by the fact you have a rotational hard drive, but I don't know if the cost of switching to an SSD is worth it to you. Your inxi information had the memory cut off, so I don't know if you have memory maxed out on that computer.

I have not used Xfce, so I don't know if there is any significant different in how LM19 might run versus LM20 on your equipment given you have an older Nvidia card, but you could test to see how it works with a live usb/DVD. Just keep in mind it a live session may run a bit slower than if the OS is installed on the hard drive.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

SMG wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 am
mintymatrix wrote:
Have the system freezes stopped? (Your original reason for posting the thread)
It is difficult to say at this moment. I can just say that it did not happen since last few days. Things actually started improving once I stopped Conky BUT system is still very slow. I am wondering if it is possible to make LM more 'light', in this computer.
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SMG »

mintymatrix wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:59 am
I am wondering if it is possible to make LM more 'light', in this computer.
If you have not done so already, I suggest creating a new thread asking how to make Xfce more "light". I have never used it and can make no recommendations beyond what I've already stated regarding hardware.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

My old computer again froze a few times.

I ran that computer through LM LIVE and downloaded a large MKV file (of about 850Mb). Then copied that file in another pen drive. Every thing went fine.

Rebooted the computer from my HDD, using LM (Xfce). Started copying the file from the pen-drive to the HDD. After about 60% was done, the system turned non-responsive.
Had to do a hard shutdown.

Restarted the computer and again tried the same thing, this time with the Task Manager also running. System froze again. I took a picture of the Task Manager when it happened and it is attached here.

TaskManager1.jpg

Then again booted using LM Live. Tried copying the file again. This time all went well.

Rebooted the system from HDD again. Tried copying the file from one folder to another in the HDD. This time the system froze again but at 99.99%. The file got copied but the system went non-responsive.

What might be happening ?
Larry78723
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Larry78723 »

It sounds like your HDD might be getting flaky. Try the the following 2 commands, one at a time. It will check and repair (if possible) your HDD.

1. Boot from install media.
2. Run

Code: Select all

sudo fsck -t -y -f -c /dev/sda1
When finished run

sudo fsck -t -y -f -c /dev/sda3
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

Again had problem a few times :
Yesterday. Just an external HDD was attached and some files were being searched for in it . . . and it stopped working.
Today, Firefox was open and was displaying a basic static html page from HDD, Thunar was open and started an mp4 file on VLC . . . stopped working.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

Larry78723 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:21 pm
It sounds like your HDD might be getting flaky. Try the the following 2 commands, one at a time. It will check and repair (if possible) your HDD.

2. Run

When finished run

Will that take too long to run ?
If so I will have to arrange time for it accordingly.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

Larry78723 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:21 pm

2. Run

When finished run

fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test):   0.00% done, 0:00 elapsed. (0/0/0 err  7.17% d  7.31% don  7.60% done, 0:54 elapsed. (0/0/0 e  7.73% d  8.30% do  8done                                                 
/dev/sda1: Updating bad block inode.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/sda1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda1: 783599/3276800 files (0.1% non-contiguous), 4519594/13107177 blocks

fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test):   0.00% done, 0:00 elapsed. (0/0/0 errdone                                                 
/dev/sda3: Updating bad block inode.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inode 3015560 extent tree (at level 1) could be shorter.  Fix<y>? yes
Pass 1E: Optimizing extent trees
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/sda3: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda3: 1533817/13107200 files (0.6% non-contiguous), 19676466/52428800 blocks
Took about one and half hours !
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Frequent System Freeze

Post by mintymatrix »

So what can we deduce from the above output ?
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SMG »

mintymatrix wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:10 am
It looks like to me that some changes were made, so I would assume things were not optimal before you ran it. Here's some information on that utility How to Use fsck Command to Check and Repair Filesystem.

I've never used that utility before, so I defer to the advice of others as to what specifically to deduce from the results.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

SMG wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:24 pm
mintymatrix wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:10 am
It looks like to me that some changes were made, so I would assume things were not optimal before you ran it. Here's some information on that utility How to Use fsck Command to Check and Repair Filesystem.

I've never used that utility before, so I defer to the advice of others as to what specifically to deduce from the results.
I also noticed, some changes were made. Not sure how serious it is.

Return to “Newbie Questions”