Programming for newbies

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Programming for newbies

Post by emorrp1 »

www.google.com gives a 1 2 3 process, with as many steps as you've got time for :-) Seriously though, I'd recommend learning python, it's relatively expressive, and is used in the mint tools, just search for python tutorial. Programming is one of those things you learn by doing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

Type this on Terminal:

sudo apt-get install spe

This will install a nice editor for Python
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

anyone got a good programming tool?
Yup, vi, gedit, nano, and pretty much every text editor ever. You don't need fancy programs to write code, all you need is the knowledge of how to write it, any text editor to put the code into, and then the compiler. Python is one of the few exceptions to the last rule since it's more of a scripting language that doesn't need to be compiled to run. Even so, it is still a great language for beginners to learn. It also has a live mode which lets you type in commands one line at a time and see how they run.
As far as programs to write python in, just look for something that supports syntax highlighting.
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

"As far as programs to write python in, just look for something that supports syntax highlighting."

Yes. The standard text editor - Gnome Text Editor, it is installed by default in Ubuntu and Mint (gnome edition).
I tend to use it for such purposes.
garrydb

Post by garrydb »

igorzwx wrote:Type this on Terminal:

sudo apt-get install spe

I am also interested in this. So I typed the above and it responded with "couldn't find package soe what now? thanks Garry
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

There are two choices, an editor that knows the syntax structures for that language, or an ide (integrated development environment) that aims to provide a programming project control application..
--might sometimes have a DB (DataBase), templates (code snippets, boilerplate is the same idea in word processors), a file manger (but any Linux editor can also select from the directory tree), and usually a built-in Run function that lets you test the code within that editing environment, plus finally a help function that shows you coding samples
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/81584
--python ide, they also have listed editors that recognize Python syntax.

The best way to learn programming; learning to read and understand code
--reading lots of good code, helps you understand and discover what makes bad code (programming), even if you never actually program anything, understanding code ( by reading lots of it), enables you to recognize bad coding practice and you won't be surprised, when the inevitable errors creep into the application you are investigating..
garrydb

Re: Programming for newbies {SOLVED}|

Post by garrydb »

garrydb wrote:
igorzwx wrote:Type this on Terminal:

sudo apt-get install spe

I am also interested in this. So I typed the above and it responded with "couldn't find package soe what now? thanks Garry
redone the above and it worked. Thanks SOLVED

Return to “Beginner Questions”