Does Dual Boot with Windows have all these problems? (with Youtube links)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
j2ee
Level 2
Level 2

Does Dual Boot with Windows have all these problems? (with Youtube links)

Post by j2ee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JeP5wGd6wk
I thought about dual boot then found out this video. Sound like very bad. I am having Windows 10 in multiple computers and I don't need a pure LInux Mint machine. Install full Linux Mint in an USB stick is a good idea for my case?
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Does Dual Boot with Windows have all these problems? (with Youtube links)

Post by ajgringo619 »

Most of the newer problems with dual-booting are solved by using an UEFI setup instead of BIOS. I've been dual-booting off-and-on since Windows XP/Redhat Enterprise Linux back in the early 2000's and have never had any major problems. Just make sure you're dual-booting for the right reasons - serious graphics work, hardcore gaming, etc. Most users are just fine running Windows 10 in a VM.
Mint 20 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-54-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
GTX 1070 w/8GB RAM [Folding]
GTX 1050Ti w/4GB RAM [Nvidia v455.38]
j2ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by j2ee »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:29 pm
Most of the newer problems with dual-booting are solved by using an UEFI setup instead of BIOS. I've been dual-booting off-and-on since Windows XP/Redhat Enterprise Linux back in the early 2000's and have never had any major problems. Just make sure you're dual-booting for the right reasons - serious graphics work, hardcore gaming, etc. Most users are just fine running Windows 10 in a VM.
Seem like UEFI was only in new "normal price range" computers in recently years. My HP notebook that was bought around 8 years ago doesn't come with UEFI, but my desktop that was bought around 4 years ago has it.
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Post by ajgringo619 »

j2ee wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Seem like UEFI was only in new "normal price range" computers in recently years. My HP notebook that was bought around 8 years ago doesn't come with UEFI, but my desktop that was bought around 4 years ago has it.
That's unfortunately true. On that note, most computers old enough to not have UEFI can't run Windows 10 efficiently anyway.
Mint 20 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-54-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
GTX 1070 w/8GB RAM [Folding]
GTX 1050Ti w/4GB RAM [Nvidia v455.38]
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

j2ee wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:21 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JeP5wGd6wk
I thought about dual boot then found out this video. Sound like very bad. I am having Windows 10 in multiple computers and I don't need a pure LInux Mint machine. Install full Linux Mint in an USB stick is a good idea for my case?
I've always advised everybody to thoroughly pretest any new Linux version on a persistent live USB drive when available. I've used the Pendrive installer

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/

there are others - formatted to NTFS to build about 6GB of "persistence" (that saves settings, software installs and configuratin between reboots) and try out all the PC's components and peripherals attached to it. Booting, running and putting the live USB through all relevant paces for a few weeks should teach what "workarounds" might be needed or doesn't work right on your particular system, without risking a hard drive installation that can be difficult to undo.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).

Return to “Newbie Questions”