Linux Files

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DorkSided
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Files

Post by DorkSided »

Just a few noob questions about Linux files. If these questions make you angry, please do not read my thread. Thanks.

So, every time I open a basic text file, I have to answer questions about opening it. It seems very cumbersome. Is there a setting for this?

Also, all of the Linux files cannot be used on Windows. Which makes sharing files impossible. For example, if you try to open a LM text file in Windows, all the formatting is gone, and it is just a block of text.

In GIMP, after you save an image and go to close it, it asks if you are sure you want to close without saving!

What is up with all these anomalies? Thank you.
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Files

Post by ajgringo619 »

DorkSided wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:33 pm
Just a few noob questions about Linux files. If these questions make you angry, please do not read my thread. Thanks.
Don't worry about this - we were all noobs at one point.
So, every time I open a basic text file, I have to answer questions about opening it. It seems very cumbersome. Is there a setting for this?
From the menu, click Settings --> Preferred Applications.
Also, all of the Linux files cannot be used on Windows. Which makes sharing files impossible. For example, if you try to open a LM text file in Windows, all the formatting is gone, and it is just a block of text.
Yes, Linux text files are formatted differently than Windows text files. For sharing, you should use something like LibreOffice; just make sure that the Windows version matches the Linux version.
In GIMP, after you save an image and go to close it, it asks if you are sure you want to close without saving!
This is only true if if save the image in a non-GIMP format (like jpg or png).
What is up with all these anomalies? Thank you.
Both systems came about from completely different backgrounds. Linux followed UNIX, which has been around a lot longer than Windows. I really can't tell you why DOS/Windows changed so many things.
Mint 20 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-54-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
GTX 1070 w/8GB RAM [Folding]
GTX 1050Ti w/4GB RAM [Nvidia v455.38]
DorkSided
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DorkSided »

ajgringo619 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:53 pm
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I do not see what I am supposed to do in Preferred Applications. There is a LibreOffice for Windows? But even so, the loading time and format would be a huge pain for basic txt files. Ah, you are saying Windows is the newer format? But still, it is the most common. I mean, Linux cannot even handle a simple txt file? They have been around for decades. Just odd how hard everything has to be on Linux...
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened the full post quote of the post right above. This recursively quoting of half the thread with every new reply is a real p.i.t.a.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

DorkSided wrote:
Is the question about wanting to execute the text file or open it? Are you opening the file from a NTFS file system?

If yes to both questions it's a limitation of NTFS because NTFS doesn't properly support file permissions so Linux assumes that text files are potentially executable and the default setting for executable text files (that on a pure Linux system might be a bash or python script) is to ask what to do.

The behaviour can be changed in your File managers preferences. E.g if using Cinnamon/Nemo

Nemo > Edit > Preferences > Behaviour > Check View Executable Text Files when they are opened.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

DorkSided wrote:
It is probably not a plain text file.
DorkSided wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 am
There is a LibreOffice for Windows? But even so, the loading time and format would be a huge pain for basic txt files.
Yes, there is Libre Office for Windows and its use has been gaining strength. It is not paid.
When saving a plain text (.txt) file on Linux, with the Xed program for example, choose "End of line: Windows".

antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

if you use a text editor in linux but want to open the file in windows, for example in xed. click save as from the File menu. change the line ending to Windows. Add .txt to the filename. Windows txt format is not new, just different.

As for GIMP's behaviour, Photoshop does that too in Windows when you work on a file. I'll explain why, GIMP and Photoshop both store your work in a specific format while you are working on it.

When you save to PNG or JPG you are creating another copy via their export function. GIMP is prompting whether you want to save the XCF file for editing or use again later.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Think of Linux like you do an unfamiliar motor car. You know it's capable of certain tasks it's just a matter of finding the right buttons to push. The problem with Windows "standards" is that they are not actually "standard". Even M$ Orifice has numerous "undocumented" features that the more "standard" programs (like libre office, open office et. al.) do not support.

With the "open" standards like Linux people (who know about such things) can see how, and why certain things are done. Try that with MAC OS and WINDOWS.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
CyberCodeDroid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CyberCodeDroid »

See:
Attachments
Linux-file-system-hierarchy-Linux-file-structure-optimized.jpg
English is not my mother tongue; please excuse any errors on my part.
DorkSided
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DorkSided »

ricardogroetaers wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:38 am
DorkSided wrote:
It is probably not a plain text file.
DorkSided wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 am
There is a LibreOffice for Windows? But even so, the loading time and format would be a huge pain for basic txt files.
Yes, there is Libre Office for Windows and its use has been gaining strength. It is not paid.
When saving a plain text (.txt) file on Linux, with the Xed program for example, choose "End of line: Windows".

Ah. I see now. But this will be cumbersome for hundreds of files. Also, will this keep the formatting?

They say "Text (text/plain)". Linux cannot handle these?

LibreOffice takes forever to load, has buttons and options everywhere. It just seems an inappropriate replacement for a notepad. It's like putting a Ford engine in your powered toothbrush.
ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

DorkSided wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 am
Ah. I see now. But this will be cumbersome for hundreds of files. Also, will this keep the formatting?
LibreOffice takes forever to load, has buttons and options everywhere. It just seems an inappropriate replacement for a notepad. It's like putting a Ford engine in your powered toothbrush.
Maybe I am not understanding your post correctly due to my difficulty with the English language.

A plain text file has no formatting.
It is like text typed on an old typewriter.

There is no reason to use an Advanced Text Editor, like Microsoft Word or Libre Office Writer, for this.
A simple editor is used, such as Notepad, Edit, Xed, Xfwrite, among others.
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

ricardogroetaers wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 am
DorkSided wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 am
Maybe I am not understanding your post correctly due to my difficulty with the English language.

A plain text file has no formatting.
It is like text typed on an old typewriter.

There is no reason to use an Advanced Text Editor, like Microsoft Word or Libre Office Writer, for this.
A simple editor is used, such as Notepad, Edit, Xed, Xfwrite, among others.
Word processor and text file formats by file extension
Creating text files and using a word processor is one of the most common tasks on a computer. Below is the most common file extensions used with text files and documents.

.doc and .docx - Microsoft Word file
.odt - OpenOffice Writer document file
.pdf - PDF file
.rtf - Rich Text Format
.tex - A LaTeX document file
.txt - Plain text file
.wpd - WordPerfect document
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001789.htm

If you want formatted text files use .rtf. It's not applicaton or system specific.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro

Return to “Newbie Questions”