Desktop icon position changes on every reboot on Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ppazos
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop icon position changes on every reboot on Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE

Post by ppazos »

I'm really tired of rearranging the icons on my desktop, is there any way of keeping the icons on their position after a reboot? thanks.

Also when I right click on the desktop to create a folder or file, it is created but not where I clicked, it moves to a spot between the rest of the icons. Not sure how to change that behavior.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Desktop icon position changes on every reboot on Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE

Post by diapason »

In Cinnamon, if you right click on your desktop and select customise you can turn off auto arrange. It may be the same in XFCE. Have a look.
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Evolution Mail Client 3.38.0
ppazos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ppazos »

Hola, I'm also from Uruguay.

Nope in XFCE, there is no option. The only thing is Desktop Settings > Icons
Screenshot_2020-09-16_23-30-45.png
motoryzen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by motoryzen »

ppazos wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:48 pm
I'm really tired of rearranging the icons on my desktop, is there any way of keeping the icons on their position after a reboot? thanks.

Also when I right click on the desktop to create a folder or file, it is created but not where I clicked, it moves to a spot between the rest of the icons. Not sure how to change that behavior.
--I hope the mods of this domain/forum don't give me a " gibbs" back of the head slap for posting this, but I found this may help.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7597

When you reach this page, do a ctrl f, and type " #8 " without the quotes. This guy's script allegedly worked for him ( the complainer of the problem at first wasn't typing the script/command correctly I think.) also #14 had a good point about multiple files/folders/and/or items with the exact same name on the desktop

Hope this helps. Cheers. --
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Post by ajgringo619 »

I was surprised that the fix for some users was to increase the panel width from 32 to 40 pixels. Also noticed that this post is very old, so it's very surprising that this issue still exists. I stopped using desktop icons back in the Windows XP days so I never noticed this.

I, for one, appreciate the link to this fix; any new knowledge is good.
Mint 19.3 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-47-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

¡Hola!

Yo soy hijo de Escocia ahora residente legal en este gran país.

Lamento no tener mas sugerencias para resolver su problema por falta de conocimientos de xfce. He leído el enlace que ofreció Motoryzen y, si fuere yo, probaré con la sugerencia de ToZ (nr. 2 del 2012-11-13).
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Evolution Mail Client 3.38.0

Return to “Newbie Questions”